• Fired from railroad after 2 months

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by matt.b

I was fired from the railroad after 2 months on the job. I was still on probation. It was a Class II railroad. The trainmaster said "you were not working safe enough when I was observing you". He was like you did not give frequent enough car counts when you were shoving (which was complete BS), and you stepped off the car "incorrectly". I am so angry, that I feel like getting revenge. I saw my senior coworkers violating rules all the time (climbing across couplers, walking between the rails), and the trainmaster said nothing to them! Anyway, I don't know what to do. I am Conductor certified, and I don't want my time there to go to waste. What do I put on a resume now?? 2 months looks really bad. I'm thinking of just saying I was laid off. If I leave it off completely, I'll have such a gap that my resume will likely be tossed. I can be found out if I lie. Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S. I didn't leave on bad terms. They did say they would give me a reference. The whole thing is quite strange. The day before, the safety manager told me I was doing a great job.
  by COEN77

You fell into that grey area with probation. I've seen people get to the last day of probation then was let go. If they said they would give you a reference apply for other railroads. Even with some experienced working for a class II a person will still have to go through training.
  by CSX Conductor

If you didn't give enough car counts while shoving, the engineer should've stopped.
  by COEN77

CSX Conductor wrote:If you didn't give enough car counts while shoving, the engineer should've stopped.
That's a CSX rule. As you know that conductor is the locomotive engineers eyes on a shoving move. Stopping half the length of a car count is a good rule. If they had it years ago it would of protected me from having to get up off the floor on plenty of occasions over bad car counts. It would of prevented a lot arguments.
  by slchub

coen77 I don't think I have ever disagreed with you however per 49 CFR 220.49 the conductor/asst. conductor shall provide the distance (car count) for the shoving move and update within 1/2 that distance, ie: bring it back 8 cars, clear for another 4 cars, 2 cars, 1, 1/2 that will do. Or proper hand signals. If I'm doing a shoving move and i'm not getting a count update I'll get on the radio and say "how many cars have we got?"
  by COEN77

slchub wrote:coen77 I don't think I have ever disagreed with you however per 49 CFR 220.49 the conductor/asst. conductor shall provide the distance (car count) for the shoving move and update within 1/2 that distance, ie: bring it back 8 cars, clear for another 4 cars, 2 cars, 1, 1/2 that will do. Or proper hand signals. If I'm doing a shoving move and i'm not getting a count update I'll get on the radio and say "how many cars have we got?"
slchub, That's alright I've been retired for a few years now. I knew if I wasn't correct someone would know it. My last 7 years CSX did so many rule changes then take in all the others like the SOFA rules etc...it was 30 lbs of rules books & paperwork in your grip.

I tried to never got on the radio for an update on car counts usually I'd let off on the throttle slowing down so they would get the hint. That worked with most.