• Old Train Signals near South Sudbury

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by B&Mguy

I saw a picture recently of a very rusty and long abandoned train signal on the former Central Mass line somewhere east of the South Sudbury diamond crossing. I was wondering if anyone on here knows the signal structure I'm talking about and whether there's a way it can bee seen from public property anywhere? I'm not sure how the photographer got the picture, and obviously I'm not going to trespass, but was just curious if anyone has seen what I'm talking about?
  by edbear

The South Sudbury interlocking was automated about 1954. There were a pair of approach signals, two lights with staggered heads about one mile east and west of the interlocking signals. I don't think the interlocking signals at the diamond location are still around. If you are talking about the westward approach signal, it was visible from the Landham Road bridge. I don't think you'll get in trouble for walking the right-of-way. It is owned by the MBTA. I think you might have trouble finding a place to park that does not arouse the NIMBYs. Between Landham Road and the Route 20 Xing location, you should follow the r-o-w because there's a pretty fast moving stream behind those commercial buildings and shops on Route 20. Wear long pants, long sleeved shirt, cap, boots. No shorts or T-shirt. Maybe bring clippers to cut dense brush. No knives.
  by B&Mguy

Thanks Edbear! I drove over the Landham Road crossing earlier today, and you're right when you say parking could be an issue. there was really no good place to pull off the road around there, and getting down to the roadbed from the bridge also looks a little challenging too. I did check out behind a few of those businesses along US Route 20 to see f I could see the signals, but no luck. I'll try to return to the Landham Road crossing sometime soon, and try to view it from the bridge.