• Becoming an Amtrak Locomotive Engineer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by matt.b

What is the best way to become a Locomotive Engineer with Amtrak? I'm currently a Conductor on a Class II railroad. I've read that Amtrak prefers Class I certification. Should I try to get hired by a Class I railroad at some point? Will Amtrak consider a Class II certification? Thanks for any answers.
  by slchub

The easiest route will be to hire out on Amtrak as an assistant conductor, then promote to conductor and then apply for the locomotive engineer spot once it is posted in your crew base (or where ever you are based). While Amtrak does hire off of the streets with zero time in the street they prefer those applicants who have demonstrated mastery of skills gained elsewhere such as engineer with a Class 1 outfit or a commercial pilot rating. If you are aiming for Amtrak then get on-board and gain experience on the territory you are hired in and you will have a strong background to promote up to engineer. Why hire out at another outfit only to try to get hired on with Amtrak in the future?

Good luck.