• Received offers for both BNSF & UP, which do I take?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by mllaw23

Hey everyone, I applied for conductor trainee in Minneapolis/St. Paul for conductor trainee. I've already received my release to work for UP, but now I've received a conditional offer for BNSF. I'd rather work for BNSF from reading the board they seem like the better employer. Should I go through the process for BNSF, or stick with UP since I already am ready to go on November 3?
  by matawanaberdeen

Well since no one is responding I will give it a try. I have no first hand knowledge, but the census around here is that BNSF is the best RR to work for as far as Class 1 freight railroads go. Amtrak is probably better, commuter RR's around the country are probably better, but around here BNSF is known as the best Class 1 freight RR. Good luck in choosing.
  by Jim1348

mllaw23 wrote:.....Should I go through the process for BNSF, or stick with UP since I already am ready to go on November 3?
Do you plan on moving for either job? I am not a big fan of terrible commutes. How far away from either location are you when you report to work? I assume Northtown Yard for BNSF and South Saint Paul for UP.
  by mllaw23

@ Jim, I'm moving from Chicago I found a place in Saint Paul its 6 mins from the UP yard so I definitely shouldn't have a problem being late to report even in bad weather. Is anyone familiar with the yard in Saint Paul? I assume they have plenty of work as they're still hiring on the website for the location.
  by COEN77

Personally I wouldn't back out of the start date with the UP. BNSF is only a conditional offer doesn't mean you'll get the job. I'm taking it as you'll have to start over with the hiring process. Why would you give up a sure thing with the UP?
  by slchub

I concur. Go to training with the UP and bail thereafter if you wish. Things happen and the BN may decide not to hire for your location and/or may wait to start class in 2015 for some reason. You never know.

We have a re-entry engineer here at Amtrak that just came off the BN after working there for 15 years. I came off the UP. Sharing war stories with each other either Carrier (UP or the BN) has the same amount of BS going for it. Any Class 1 railroad will have their issues.

Good luck!
  by jz441

mllaw23 wrote:Thanks I decided to go with UP. Start class November 3, I'm looking forward to starting my new career.
The downside with the UP is that they don't have the system-wide seniority. With BNSF, you can go wherever your seniority permits, except Pacific Northwest. This comes in very handy as a new hire just in case you get furloughed at your home terminal.