• Which wheel sets are good for Athearn blue box rolling stock

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by dedm30junk

Want to change the black plastic wheels that came with the blue box for the newer metal wheels but which company has the best wheels for the athearn blue box rolling stock.
  by ALcocentury

I've been using Bowser 33" wheels,this being done before the "Layout" is built. I tried the Atlas wheels, only to find they are way too short, and don't sit or ride smooth, they even fall out of the truck bolster. I love the old BB Athearn, days long gone, but you can still find them at train shows.
  by Backshophoss

Intermountain makes 33" and 36" semi-scale wheelsets,as well as regular 33" and 36" wheelsets,
have used both for rewheeling cars of Athearn,MDC,AHM,and IHC.
Have also used Proto 2000 wheelsets,33" on Athearn and Walters well cars

Keep the RP-25 plastic wheelsets for models that are not used that often, and as "shop" wheelsets
for cars under construction
Use the"Scrapped" crappy wheelsets,painted rust color for gon loads and junkyard details.
  by jwhite07

Intermountain makes 33" and 36" semi-scale wheelsets,as well as regular 33" and 36" wheelsets,
Seconded - just about everything that takes 33" wheels in my fleet rides on the Intermountain wheelsets. Walthers carries boxes of 100 for $85, part number 85-40055. Admittedly not cheap, but wow do they look and ride so much better! And after putting Intermountain wheels on close to 100 cars so far, I have yet to encounter a wheel out of round or a bent axle. Can't say the same for NWSL and Atlas, unfortunately.
  by glennk419

jwhite07 wrote:
Seconded - just about everything that takes 33" wheels in my fleet rides on the Intermountain wheelsets. Walthers carries boxes of 100 for $85, part number 85-40055. Admittedly not cheap, but wow do they look and ride so much better! And after putting Intermountain wheels on close to 100 cars so far, I have yet to encounter a wheel out of round or a bent axle. Can't say the same for NWSL and Atlas, unfortunately.
Thirded....I've used both Intermountain in the 100 packs and Proto2000 they they are both a vast improvement over the stock wheelsets. They roll, track and sound so much better than the originals. Check eBay, you can get the 100 packs in the $70 range..shipped. For less than $3 a car, you can't beat it.
  by Railjunkie

Fourthed first get the truck tuner from Micro Mark part#82838 $14.35 plus S/H. Well worth the investment. I use Proto 2000 wheel sets only done over 150 cars never had a problem. Of course Im also anal about weight and couple height.