Railroad Forums 

• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1286728  by northeastequip

With permission, I have done some investigation in Glenmont. It seems that vandals have done a decent job on these engines, but I personally believe there is a possible hope. As for the plan to move these hulks, (not to be pessimistic) I think that would require some big cash, as well as getting permits, permission, etc.

As for the equipment in Colonie, does anybody know the recent status?
 #1286818  by traingeek8223

The pieces in Colonie are in the hands of the CP legal department at the moment. We will know what is going on with them when the railroad is ready, but I'm guessing they have other, more pressing matters to deal with.
 #1299133  by traingeek8223

Ok folks. The end of the line for this equipment has finally upon us (Colonie). The CP legal department has done their thing and issued paperwork to a collogue of mine freeing up the equipment from their possession. It all must be off the property in one month's time (from yesterday). This was originally going to be a project of our organization to save at least the RS3 from scrapping, but the scenario has changed and it is likely that most items will be heading for scrap. The RS3 is now destined to leave on a flat car to be a parts source for an ALCO powered railroad and the ex. LI S1 is still privately owned, with CP continuing to negotiate with the owner. That leaves the rest of the items as scrap candidates. My associate is willing to listen to real plans for removal for preservation on items such as the "Worlds Fair" coach or the B&A commuter coach. The S2 has many good parts and some value to it and the NYC baggage car is much more solid then we originally thought. He would also be willing to listen to offers on these items too (monetary). So far the only thing that will for sure be scrapped will be the "Rapid Stream", but things will go quickly after that. If anyone here has serious interest, please PM me and I will put you in contact with him. Once again, time is short so serious offers only.
 #1299241  by thebigham

For review, these are the items left:

ALCO S-1 X-LIRR 417:2
ALCO RS-3 x-D&H 4082 painted for Albany Port # 2
ALCO S-2 x-D&H Painted for APR # 1
NYC Passenger car "Rapid Stream" minus trucks
NYC Baggage Car
D&H "Worlds Fair " passenger car
D&H passenger coach
 #1299266  by Noel Weaver

lvrr325 wrote:I would think that Iowa Pacific may have some interest in the D&H cars, but whether they have the cash to get them removed right now who knows.
I can't imagine why any other railroad would want any part of this junk. It has been sitting a long, long time, has a lot of important items missing and is probably too far gone, they might be able to buy a real good used coach or other car for less and have something worth running.
You CAN'T SAVE EVERYTHING.
Noel Weaver
 #1299300  by charlie6017

Matt/All:

Has Danbury Railroad Musuem removed the ex NYC electrics from the premises yet?

Looking back, I haven't seen anything new as far as their removal. Having said that, it's still relatively early
in the morning, and I haven't ingested anywhere near enough coffee/caffeine yet.

Charlie
 #1299357  by lvrr325

Noel Weaver wrote:
I can't imagine why any other railroad would want any part of this junk. It has been sitting a long, long time, has a lot of important items missing and is probably too far gone, they might be able to buy a real good used coach or other car for less and have something worth running.
You CAN'T SAVE EVERYTHING.
Noel Weaver
Yes, well, your opinion aside; because IP has the operation on the former D&H now they've expressed interest in having some actual D&H equipment to use, and from the standpoint of a complete rehab of the cars they're not all that terrible, most of what looks bad would be replaced anyhow.

Also worth noting that IP already made a pretty generous deal to get their hands on a former IC car that had sat mouldering for years and was flooded up to the windows during Hurricane Agnes.
 #1299363  by charlie6017

thebigham wrote:^No, they are still there.

DRM wants to remove them, but are having problems with adjacent landowners.
Okay.....thank-you Chris. :-)

Would love to see one of them be saved as a static display, if it's possible. Not getting my hopes
up though......

Charlie
 #1301244  by nessman

traingeek8223 wrote:Ok folks. The end of the line for this equipment has finally upon us (Colonie). The CP legal department has done their thing and issued paperwork to a collogue of mine freeing up the equipment from their possession. It all must be off the property in one month's time (from yesterday). This was originally going to be a project of our organization to save at least the RS3 from scrapping, but the scenario has changed and it is likely that most items will be heading for scrap. The RS3 is now destined to leave on a flat car to be a parts source for an ALCO powered railroad and the ex. LI S1 is still privately owned, with CP continuing to negotiate with the owner. That leaves the rest of the items as scrap candidates. My associate is willing to listen to real plans for removal for preservation on items such as the "Worlds Fair" coach or the B&A commuter coach. The S2 has many good parts and some value to it and the NYC baggage car is much more solid then we originally thought. He would also be willing to listen to offers on these items too (monetary). So far the only thing that will for sure be scrapped will be the "Rapid Stream", but things will go quickly after that. If anyone here has serious interest, please PM me and I will put you in contact with him. Once again, time is short so serious offers only.
So what happens to anything still on the property as of 11/20? CP takes possession of it and they bring in the scrappers? Where is the RS-3 going?