• BNSF Training fo LE in Kansas

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by ndpride

Quick question: When BNSF sends you to school for Locomotive Engineer in Kansas, the classes last six months. Do they ever send you back home for a weekend during that time?
  by jz441

The entire training is 6 months. You are in Kansas for the first 3 weeks, and the final 2 weeks of your 6 month program for the final exams. However, if you don't pass, you are fired.
  by COEN77

ndpride wrote:Quick question: When BNSF sends you to school for Locomotive Engineer in Kansas, the classes last six months. Do they ever send you back home for a weekend during that time?
After the 3 week classes you'll go back to the home terminal for on the job training to become a Locomotive Engineer.
  by ndpride

Ahh, gotcha. Thank you both!
  by Engineer Spike

I started getting my feet wet on the road for a week or two, then went to Kansas. After that I started qualifying on the lines. I think I went back to Kansas for final exams. After that the roadforman did a check ride, and signed and issued my license.

If you go home for a visit, it may be on your dime. I was put up in an extended stay hotel, with a kitchenette.