• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by kitn1mcc

Just an FYI to any one heading down to the Valley. Bennie's Farm market is no longer owned By Dave Costa. I have not stopped there in a while and stopped in yesterday let me say this it is no longer the same. i would avoid the place now. the Pizza Pub is still owned by the same folks and doing good
  by CannaScrews

Pity - had great hoagies.

At one point - Pizza Pub put down fresh gravel in the 2 back rooms & some of us commented that it had better ballast than the VRR had in some spots.....

I guess it'll be time for a Starbucks to move in.
  by Jack Powell

kitn1mcc wrote:Just an FYI to any one heading down to the Valley. Bennie's Farm market is no longer owned By Dave Costa. I have not stopped there in a while and stopped in yesterday let me say this it is no longer the same.
I had not stopped there in a while either when I went in on two separate occasions a couple of months ago. At that time, the excellent deli offerings did not appear to have changed greatly, and in the case of my usual selections, not at all. However, the somewhat bumbling staff had been replaced, and service time in some cases increased (due to such things as fried egg sandwiches being made from scratch rather than precooked as previously). I figured that the place had changed hands.

Is this what you really mean by your emphasis that "it is no longer the same"? Or do you mean that there is now something wrong with the food?

Edited by a Moderator, 6-23-14. Superfluous/gratuitous comments removed.
  by shadyjay

Ahhh... Pizza Pub... always liked that place, and ironically the first place I had a beer when I become of legal age. Just stopped there two weeks ago and got a Taco Pizza. My dad said they're under new management, though I didn't notice if the name over the door had changed - I went to high school with the guy who's been running it. The pizza was still as good as ever, though I lament the Pacman game is gone from next to the counter - spent many quarters in that machine. Now its more space for chips.

Went to Bennie's a handful of times during my VRR daze, but really enjoyed "Bun on the Run". Of course, after work, a trip to Oliver's was always routine.

And, oh yeah, looks like the official web site (http://www.essexsteamtrain.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has been extensively redesigned... looks good.
  by shadyjay

Now its official:

http://essexsteamtrain.com/special-even ... bit-train/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess there'll be a "maintenance blitz" on Mainline South to accommodate the train. Also the question one has to wonder is where will it be placed on display in the yard? Only logical location I can think of is Track 8 by River Valley Junction, but this would block the exit to Route 153, unless some of the display train is pulled out and temporarily relocated. Leave #97 and the gondola and pull the Amtrak train right behind. Can't think of any other space in the yard. Track 7 would've been a possibility but that's where the engine house extension is going. Maybe Track 11, if all that equipment is pulled out. I'd think another "blitz" would be required on any track in the yard (outside of 1 and 5) to hold a visiting Amtrak train (with a P42 and NPCU).

Thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?
  by ebtmikado

The decision makers have already made the decision.
The rest of us just have to be patient and wait.
Upon arrival, visitors will be directed to the location.

Lee
  by Cosmo

shadyjay wrote:Now its official:

http://essexsteamtrain.com/special-even ... bit-train/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess there'll be a "maintenance blitz" on Mainline South to accommodate the train. Also the question one has to wonder is where will it be placed on display in the yard? Only logical location I can think of is Track 8 by River Valley Junction, but this would block the exit to Route 153, unless some of the display train is pulled out and temporarily relocated. Leave #97 and the gondola and pull the Amtrak train right behind. Can't think of any other space in the yard. Track 7 would've been a possibility but that's where the engine house extension is going. Maybe Track 11, if all that equipment is pulled out. I'd think another "blitz" would be required on any track in the yard (outside of 1 and 5) to hold a visiting Amtrak train (with a P42 and NPCU).

"Mainline South" is already in great shape. VRR trains take PAX over it regularly at least once a month. There is evidence, however, that AMT installed new ties in the South leg of the wye at OSB.
  by Brendan

For those of you that like getting rare mileage the Valley RR, along with the friends of the Valley RR are running Hi-rail passenger operations out of the Haddam Meadows state park every Saturday morning 9:30 to 12:00 all summer. We have done 3 weeks of it now and it has gone really well. The rides are free, but donations to the FVRR are excepted. Operations will increase even more in Haddam when the new crossing goes in at Haddam Meadows next month. All that track works is now paying off. The FVRR volunteer track gang continues to install new ties most Saturdays and Wednesday nights all year. Come on out and support the volunteers efforts in expanding this great rail line.
  by Dick H

I took the hi-rail ride today. The driver gave many details on the history and
status on that portion of the line extending one and a half miles north from
the Haddam Meadows State Park crossing. Unfortunately I did not get his
name. My compliments and thanks.
  by red baron

I think "great shape" might be a relative term when referring to Old Saybrook to Essex......
Regardless, Amtrak removed the old lumber company siding switch from the east leg of the wye last week. It's straight railed now.
  by Cosmo

red baron wrote:I think "great shape" might be a relative term when referring to Old Saybrook to Essex......
Regardless, Amtrak removed the old lumber company siding switch from the east leg of the wye last week. It's straight railed now.
"Relative" as compared to what? The Northeast Corridor?
Mainline South, SX to OSB is maintained to minimum high-end class 1/low end class 2 standards, inspected and operated regularly. There was a (sort of) series of "track blitzes" over the last several years that has gotten the line up to fine enough shape for anything AMT wishes, or anything VRR wishes for AMT or P&W to bring in over that part of the line.
Compared to, say, 20 years ago, Mainline south is in REALLY great shape! :-D
  by Brendan

Hi-rail runs in Haddam going great, did 7 or so trips today at or near capacity for the hi-rail on each trip, one group came all the way from NJ to ride!
  by bwparker1

shadyjay wrote:Now its official:

I checked out the Exhibit Train on Sunday. It was a nice visit, although definitely geared towards an older crown. Well done VALE.
  by ebtmikado

I don't get the "definitely geared to an older crowd" comment. The tykes blowing the locomotive horns and changing the block signal aspects appeared to be members of the under 12 set.

Lee
  by eehiv

Where is the next run-around planned north of Goodspeed? Will it be at Haddam Meadows? EH