• ZOO Interlocking/Fairmount Park

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by CNJ Fan 4evr

We are planning on going to Philly zoo in a couple of weeks. I want to take my video camera to catch some train action going by Zoo Tower. Last time I was there(6 years ago) we saw a few trains as we walked up from the parking area (that cost $12!). I also hope to catch some trolley action outside the zoo. We were thinking about stopping at Fairmount Park. I have seen pics of trains taken from the park. Where do you go for that?
  by gprimr1

I love Fairmont Park. It's actually right alongside I-76. The road through it is MLK Drive. I usually use the Montgomery Drive exit off I-76. It is important to note that MLK is closed on the weekends for bicyclists.

Here is one of the locations: 40.004246,-75.192726

This one is on the other side of the river, off Kelly drive. 40.00598,-75.190646

Zoo is hard to railfan. It's sort of a perfect storm of bad. Limited angels, lots of fences, and a rough part of Philly.

You can get semi-decent views here: 39.971891,-75.19806 and along Mantua Ave: 39.967303,-75.193156 with the later being on the rougher side of Philly. (A prime example of "wrong side of the tracks.")

If you have a few extra minutes in Philly, I strong recommend South Street. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 76&nseq=26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's a long bridge over the tracks, I-76, the river, and the CSX line.

Now, if you have also some time, I will tell you about my secret location: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 43&nseq=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The GPS is around 39.976471,-75.192713 You have to climb the outcropping, but it is doable with no special skills or equipment.
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I arrived later than I thought and we parked at a lot right on Girard Ave. Saw a few trolleys and lots of action on Amtrak. I just didn't have the video camera with me. Inside the zoo I saw even more stuff. NJT GP40-2 4207 was one and I saw Acella set go by. We were looking at the polar bears when the unmistakable sound of GEs got louder and louder. I couldn't see what it was but the way it was lugging, it sounded like a freight,and a heavy one at that.Saw another Amtrak on way back to car. We walked right under the main line.I'd love to go back just to watch the trains. If only you didn't have to pay to park and enter the zoo to validate it.
  by trackwelder

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:I'd love to go back just to watch the trains. If only you didn't have to pay to park and enter the zoo to validate it.
park for free on front street underneath the el near girard ave and take the 15 trolley to the zoo.