• "Pacemaker" freight

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Tom Curtin

No doubt a number of forum participants are familiar with the color photo --- I presume a publicity photo --- of a perfectly matched train of "Pacemaker" boxcars coming south out of Breakneck Tunnel (I believe behind a Mohawk).

Did The Pacemaker actually run in service that way --- i.e., a matched set? Where was it going on its way down the Hudson? to W. 72nd St. yard?
  by lbagg91833

TOM C: 1948 brochure of the PACEMAKER service included all the destinations/origins of the service. I 'caught' a RUN on "ON-2" from the CCC&STL freight hse in the '50s, and we took the Steam LOCO, a #3000 series to scoop-up the PACEMAKER there. Train then was called "THE MOON", and terminated at "BN", tho connected to the "MOON" from CINCI, and then went to CLEVE. Destinations in NYC were 72ST,33rdSt, and WESTCHESTER AVE, as reflected in the brochure. I think the brochure of 1948 portrayed loco #5000 with a full complement of PACEMAKER equip....and loco #1000 was the COVER PAGE. Your reference to the BREAKNECK tunnel is accurate...I think an L-3/L-4 might have been portrayed....the consist wasn't pure PACEMAKER...LARRY BAGGERLY

by hoharold

Regarding that color shot at Breakneck. Ed Nowak, the official NYC photographer tells about this posed picture in one of his books. It indeed was a Mohawk and it was a "semi clean" Mohawk at that. Only the river side and front of the loco was "detailed" for the picture.

Those beautiful shiny new Pacemaker cars were an entire week's worth of production from the Despatch Shops assembly line held for this picture!

Father Nowak sure brought out the best of the NYC in every picture.