• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by JKUtica

It looks like the locomotives that have been parked behind the Lackawanna Freighthouse in Utica for many years have been moved. NYSW 3636, the F45 is now visible from the overpass looking down (east) at the end of the freighthouse.
  by ut-1

Alek, yes that was me. I was driving an orange Element & first spotted you in Clayville. Great picture by the way!!
  by Steve F45

alek, got the video!! They sure are working hard up that hill. Any idea of what the grade % is? And is that warehouse still getting alot of cars?
  by GlennUtica

Outgoing at 09:36 ...

CSX 2782 leading NYS&W 3040 south down Schuyler St in Utica. Pulling 2 hoppers, 1 black tank, 8 more hoppers, 1 box, and 3 hoppers.
  by keiffer

Anybody know whats going on with the Amtrak train in the Utica yard today? It consisted of two cars bracketed by two locos.

It may have been there overnight as I thought I caught a glimpse of it yesterday afternoon driving by.
  by JKUtica

JKUtica wrote:It looks like the locomotives that have been parked behind the Lackawanna Freighthouse in Utica for many years have been moved. NYSW 3636, the F45 is now visible from the overpass looking down (east) at the end of the freighthouse.
The three engines have been moved again, this time right out in front of the freighthouse. Great photo opportunity! NYSW 3636, 3020 & 3042.
  by thebigham

Someone said that the 3 locos are going to be scrapped.

Let's see if it happens...
  by NYS&W142Fan

A friend of mine just came back from the Brisben area. He said there was a lot of making on and around the RofW through Brisben. Some markings were on the ties and some along the RofW. He said some said 75+ or 120+. Anyone know what's up?
  by thebigham

thebigham wrote:Someone said that the 3 locos are going to be scrapped.

Let's see if it happens...
They were still there today. Monday, May 26... Nothing has been done.

They are parked where they scrapped cars a few years ago.
  by Steve F45

Going out on a limb here, but if anyone see's scrappers show up, can anyone convince them to carefully cutoff the nose door from the f45? I've been emailing nysw and have not received a single response about trying to save the door.
  by milkman

NYS&W142Fan wrote:A friend of mine just came back from the Brisben area. He said there was a lot of making on and around the RofW through Brisben. Some markings were on the ties and some along the RofW. He said some said 75+ or 120+. Anyone know what's up?
I'm going to guess and say that it was done by the group doing the engineering study to see if the chenango cty IDA has enough money to do the needed repairs.I saw a truck parked at a railroad crossing near Sherburne 3 weeks ago and a guy with a orange vest inspecting the tracks.
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

Does anybody know what happened to the 40 foot boxcar that was parked behind the Earlville depot?It was there last fall,went by yesterday now its gone.This had been there many years,know of a few guys who would take pictures from the top it.Maybe hauled to Utica to be cut up for scrap? Hope not.
  by Alek9997

Alek9997 wrote:
U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner wrote:Does anybody know what happened to the 40 foot boxcar that was parked behind the Earlville depot?It was there last fall,went by yesterday now its gone.This had been there many years,know of a few guys who would take pictures from the top it.Maybe hauled to Utica to be cut up for scrap? Hope not.
Yeah, I was wondering that myself. They did NOT take it out via the railroad because I know for a fact that no locomotives have run South of Sangerfield since 2010. Besides, there has been a small washout in Stockwells for nearly a year that still requires attention so that rules out that possibility anyway.

By the way, does anyone know the former owner of that Boxcar? Plain blue, rusty, no visible markings whatsoever that I remember. I'm guessing it's of FJ&G lineage but it might not be.

Alek S
  by Cactus Jack

The storage box car at Earlville was LASB 127568. I believe it was during 2012 that it was scrapped in place.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could get on top of it as it did not have roof ladders.

I think, but will stand corrected, it may have been ex PC of the same number, an XM box car and probably ex NYC at that.
  by milkman

Today at about 1:30pm I was traveling south on Rt12B south of Earlville and noticed up ahead of me there was a couple of vehicles stopped, then I realized it was at the railroad crossing.The gates were down and the lights were flashing.I didn't see anything and by the time I got to the crossing the gates were back up.Don't know if it was a malfunction or maybe some maintenance equipment working on the line?