• Ashley/Sugar Notch/ Mountaintop Railroad question...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by FLRailFan1

I would like some info on the railroads that served the Ashley/Sugar Notch/ Mountaintop area of Pennsylvania. I remember when I was visiting my grandparents in Sugar Notch, I hit a baseball into a hopper car. The railroad was next to the field where we played baseball. I don't believe those towns have rail service now. My mom's friend ran a cafe next to the Huber Breaker in Ashley and I believe the line was the Lehigh Valley.

Thank you..
  by pumpers

See the map at http://viewoftheblue.com/photography/maps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, click on number 5 - the Ashley area link. Note both the CNJ and LV running off to the SW towards Sugar Notch . For CNJ, it was their Nanticoke branch (to Nanticoke and Wanamie mine), for LV it was the main line. The CNJ "Backtrack line" was their mainline heading timetable east. They crossed around Sugar Notch, with the LV then making a U, first to the south and then quickly turning back east to the Solomon Gap area where it then went south the the Lehigh River, more or less. JS