• Where is the best spot to shoot the Starucca Viaduct?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Snowmojoe

Hi all,

I was wondering where would be the best spot from which to shoot the Starucca Viaduct. I know that you don't get a lot of trains over the Viaduct in daylight anymore, but I am going to be in the general vicinity for Memorial Day weekend and I might run up there to see what I can see. It'll only be a 20-30 min or so, so it's hardly going out of my way. I'm looking for a good spot for photos and possibly a little video, without getting arrested for trespassing.

I thought maybe I'll get lucky and the recent trend of CSX detours might continue, or if the NYSW is running the SU-100 down to NJ that weekend, there's a shot I might be able to see it in daylight/twilight that Sunday night. But since it's a holiday weekend, I don't know if it's going to run (and I suspect it probably won't.)

Thanks!
  by FLRailFan1

CarterB wrote:Tannery St or Depot St off Main St in Lanesboro, PA
Does the CP (D & H) still go under Starrucca Viaduct?
  by charlie6017

FLRailFan1 wrote:
CarterB wrote:Tannery St or Depot St off Main St in Lanesboro, PA
Does the CP (D & H) still go under Starrucca Viaduct?
The rails have been gone for almost 30 years............so "No".

Charlie
  by RichM

I think we're confusing locations... are you thinking Tunkhannock? Don't think another railroad crossed under Starucca anytime...
  by charlie6017

RichM wrote:I think we're confusing locations... are you thinking Tunkhannock? Don't think another railroad crossed under Starucca anytime...
Starucca? The old D & H's "Penn Division" from Nineveh to Carbondale passed underneath the west-side (pretty sure
it was the west) of Starucca until around 1985 when Belden Hill Tunnel was enlarged and everything ran via Binghamton
after that.

Here's a photo I found of a D&H freight by the viaduct.....not my photo.

Charlie

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 679&nseq=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by charlie6017

RSD15 wrote:The D&H crossed under the East side of the viaduct.

The train in the photo is actually a northbound headed for Oneonta, unless that's the pushers.
another photo almost the same spot.

http://cnj98.rrpicturearchives.net/show ... id=3772744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, Sir......I could never keep that straight for some reason.

Charlie
  by charlie6017

RichM wrote:And shame on me for doubting you guys!

Rich
It's all good! :P

This must have been a great place to spend a day hanging out and shooting slides and video!

Charlie