• A Scene Near Lebanon, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by RSD15

I don't see anything that says this is the West Shore am I missing something?
Could be an O&W train at Earlville lake? Thats in the town of Lebanon and along the Chenango river.What do you think Cactus Jack?
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

Postmark looks to be Georgetown.
  by B&M 1227

It is definitely not Tuscarora lake, where the tracks were high up on the hill separated from the lake by the main road. My money wold be on the NYO&W north of Earlville.
  by pumpers

B&M 1227 wrote: My money wold be on the NYO&W north of Earlville.
One problem with Earlville lake is that the track is straight there (from mapper.acme.com) and the picture shows the track curving around the lake. There is the same problem on the NYO&W just north of Hamilton at Woodman Pond and Leland Pond. JS
  by lvrr325

Georgetown was a station on the NYC branch.
  by Cactus Jack

It is not Earlville Lake or Woodsman Pond north of Hamilton - 100% sure on that. No point on the O&W resembles this scene.

I am perplexed.
  by hojack

Those Post Cards could very likely be mislabeled. I have bought a few, ( non railroad ), that were not the village or scene on the label. It could be Lebanon, NH for that matter, only one letter has to be typo'd to be in a different state. Some of those shops produced thousands of different scenes. I'm sure the help didn't do any fact checking, or making sure what was what as long as the printing machine was spitting out postcards.
  by nydepot

I agree. Researching the PRR Rochester branch, postcards were produced for many different towns and the card is all the same. One example is a train in the snow. It was used for many different towns in WNY. Who knows where else it was used. Who knows where it actually represents. So the labeling when it's not a real photo card is always suspect.
  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Since the postcard does appear to have a Georgetown, NY postage stamp on it, and was mailed to nearby Chemung county, my guess is that its origins are correct, and that it was sold in the area of Lebanon, NY. I do agree that the location of the scene depicted in the postcard could be anywhere, as there is not enough information, visual or otherwise, to pinpoint its exact location. After collecting NYS railroad postcards for a couple of years now, I've noticed that most of the hand colored cards I've encountered, have real photograph counterparts. I've also noticed that on occasion, details are sometimes left out, and in other cases, they have been added. I imagine it's possible the scene could have been snapped at any location resembling the area of Lebanon, NY, but if not, I'd say that it was probably taken near a body of water, close to the town of Lebanon, and either along the Chenango Branch of the W.S., or the O&W railroad. I'd like to see the real photo, if one exists. Thanks again for the input-81