• MTH DCS sysytem

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by peanut1

Hello,
I at one time had DCC on my layout (Bachmann system) and it didn't work out for me as the system landed up dying on me. I am currently using an analog controller with two knobs on it as I only have two lines on my HO scale layout. I was thinking about getting MTH's DCS system, I Have a few questions I wanted to ask before I spent the money:

1) How good of a system is it?

2) Most of my diesel fleet is analog, can this controller run them as well as any DCC equipped Diesel engine I buy in the future?

3) Is it worth the money or is their a better system?

4) Is it easy to operate?

If somebody could answer my questions as well as tell me a little bit more about the system that would be great, as I want to make sure I do this right the second time around. The Bachmann system was junk and didn't work for me and landed up selling of the one DCC diesel I had.
  by Backshophoss

The MTH DCS system is a propritary system and not quite compliant with the NMRA DCC standards,while it works
with their models only,unknown if other NMRA compliant Decoders will work with the DCS controller.
The MTH models will respond to a NMRA DCC signal,some of the functions may not respond.
Try a Digitrax Zeypher,or a NCE starter system,both can be expanded on with out starting from scratch
to upgrade.
  by mtuandrew

1. I haven't used other DCC systems, so I can't compare, but DCS is a reliable system in my experience (3-rail O scale, Lionel and MTH equipment.)
2. Yes, MTH maintains that DCS will operate analog locomotives as well as TMCC and DCC locomotives. As Backshophoss says, your mileage may vary.
3. Up to you - you could probably build a DCC system for cheaper, but for an out-of-the-box solution DCS works well. Again, I can't speak to whether there's a better system, or how well it works in HO.
4. It is easy to operate. The system automatically picks up the locomotives when they're placed on the track, and you can pretty easily program it. There's also a new iPhone control app, if that sort of thing interests you.