• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by milkman

"give my crew a bulldozer and a couple of dump trucks of fill, and the line would be open in a flash."

I wish it was that simple.I have been following this closely since the line was damaged in the 2006 flood.That flood created numerous wash outs from Norwich To Greene.A bridge over a small stream south of Oxford was completely washed out and if that wasn't enough in 2011 more flood damage occurred.So this is going to be a major project.

The Chenango County IDA has worked very hard to get this line restored and functional again.They had a study done to get an estimate on the cost of repairing the line and it was close to 6 million.They applied for state and federal grants to help cover the cost which they got last year and then another flood last Spring caused some more washouts in the Sherburne and Earlville areas.

So this won't happen in a flash and if they are going to do it right it is going to take some time.If they simply dump some fill and lay the track it's going to happen again.These 100 year floods don't take 100 years anymore.
  by fredrick

milkman wrote:"give my crew a bulldozer and a couple of dump trucks of fill, and the line would be open in a flash."

I wish it was that simple.I have been following this closely since the line was damaged in the 2006 flood.That flood created numerous wash outs from Norwich To Greene.A bridge over a small stream south of Oxford was completely washed out and if that wasn't enough in 2011 more flood damage occurred.So this is going to be a major project.

The Chenango County IDA has worked very hard to get this line restored and functional again.They had a study done to get an estimate on the cost of repairing the line and it was close to 6 million.They applied for state and federal grants to help cover the cost which they got last year and then another flood last Spring caused some more washouts in the Sherburne and Earlville areas.

So this won't happen in a flash and if they are going to do it right it is going to take some time.If they simply dump some fill and lay the track it's going to happen again.These 100 year floods don't take 100 years anymore.
I agree this is going to be a major project.it*s going to take a lot of work to get this line up and running again.
  by charlie6017

milkman wrote:More news on the Utica line!
http://www.evesun.com/news/stories/2014 ... storation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link........us non-subscribers missed the last 71 percent of the article. Did it state any information
such as time-frames for work such as when it would begin, end or any other pertinent information?

Thanks,

Charlie
  by milkman

charlie6017 wrote:
milkman wrote:More news on the Utica line!
http://www.evesun.com/news/stories/2014 ... storation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link........us non-subscribers missed the last 71 percent of the article. Did it state any information
such as time-frames for work such as when it would begin, end or any other pertinent information?

Thanks,

Charlie
“We are definitely hoping to see construction to the line in 2014,” Craig said, adding his hopes of having the engineering report completed as early as May.

But Craig said in spite of secured funding to move forward, there’s also a chance the project could be thwarted by the forthcoming engineering report. He pointed out that damage caused by severe flooding in June and July is not included in preliminary estimates. “If it turns out that work to be done is way out of line with what we planned, then the (CCIDA) has a tough decision to make,” he said
  by Steve F45

how much "new" damage was caused by flooding last year? I go up to Greene a few times a year to bring the son to his grandpa's who lives on the county road that parallels the line for a distance going to Norwich. I didn't see any new damage other then whats already been there since 2006. And all that weed clearing will need to be done again as it all grew back and took over everything again.
  by milkman

how much "new" damage was caused by flooding last year?

There is a wash out near Earlville which I have seen and I heard there was one or more near Sherburne.
I may be wrong but I wouldn't think a couple of washouts would cost so much to repair that it would jeopardize the whole project.
  by Steve F45

im not from the area, but were the new washouts on the active tracks or oos portion?
  by fredrick

one question why Chenango county ida should have to pay these washouts that happen last year? i tell you one thing nysw should pay for these new washouts that happen last year not Chenango county ida?
  by milkman

The new washouts are north of Sherburne and the CCIDA was originally only going to repair the line from Greene to Sherburne.So it should be NYS&W's responsibility to repair any damage north of Sherburne.
  by O-6-O

I have to agree Lackman. Many volunteer and scenic railroads do this on a routine basis. Building a line would require engineering but repairing?
  by fredrick

I have and idea for a new customer for this line I know its slim to none chance how about choboni plant just outside new berlin ny.on state 8.i supize no body ask the choboni plant if want rail service.i know if they want rail service the railroad would have to built a track for them if they want rail service.
  by lvrr325

Going to rebuld the whole Unadilla Valley Railway plus part of the O&W main to get in there?
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

lvrr325 wrote:Going to rebuld the whole Unadilla Valley Railway plus part of the O&W main to get in there?
None of the O&W would be needed,just the U.V. from South Edmeston north to Bridgewater and about 2 miles of NYS&W Richfield Sprs.Branch.
  by cjvrr

Years ago there was talk of them locating on the Utica line in the Norwich area. Unsure if poor rates or the washout had occurred by then.