• Lehighton Ghost Signals and stuff

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by glennk419

Mea Culpa! Any reason the Catasaqua signals would still be there then?

by carajul

Probably just never got taken down. Lot of pics of those signals in Mike Bednar's book from the 1970s.

The two bottom signals are gone (stolen?) but the two tops ones are there complete with glass lenses. I was corresponding with NS person in charge of real estate about them and he said I couldn't take them down. I told him they'd probably get smashed when the line becomes a rail-trail and he was like "yes so what".

It's a very sad sight. There are pics from the 1940s from the tower that guarded the LNE diamond Charlie Bealer took. Frieght stations, scales, passenger station, huge yard, 4 track LV main, Reading C&F Branch, Ironton RR. All gone. Today just muddy grass.

by glennk419

carajul wrote: The two bottom signals are gone (stolen?) but the two tops ones are there complete with glass lenses. I was corresponding with NS person in charge of real estate about them and he said I couldn't take them down. I told him they'd probably get smashed when the line becomes a rail-trail and he was like "yes so what".
Try getting in touch with someone in C&S, they seem to be much more sympathetic towards requests to preserve old signals etc (at least they were in the Conrail days). I have a fully functional ex-RDG searchlight signal that was acquired simply by being in the right place at the right time and politely asking for it. The real estate guy was probably more concerned with someone being injured and likely does not even know the signal you're asking about.

by AdamCKach

scottychaos wrote:I believe there is still one (or more) of the LV yard lights still standing in coxton yard, (Pittston)
I would love to get measurements for a model!
it appears to be identical to the 4 light towers that illuminated the Sayre yard..(all the Sayre towers are now gone..been gone since the late 80's)

can anyone confirm if a Coxton tower is still there?
Sorry I came to this so late. However, they're still there - between 4 and 8 I believe. I happened to catch a couple of them when I was taking photos while at RMDI.

by Missyg24

I can not get to the links left in the posts before me.... I have seen a photo and story of a 'ghost' signal near Lehighton. CNJ i thought it was
  by lvrr325

May have something to do with this post being close to eight years old.