• Oct. 1972 MEC ETT

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

Folks,
I found a 1972 Maine Central timetable. I scanned it, and with the exception of pg.12 which scanned skewed it came out pretty good. Certainly legible.
I'd intended to upload it to the forums but its too large a file for the forum's software to support. Mr. Moderator was nice enough to point me to "imgur." I uploaded it there, and unfortunately it decreased quality, but its still legible and can be found here -> http://i.imgur.com/cF5Nicy.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <-
Make sure to click on it, so its more than a thumbnail running down the left side of the screen...

I'll at some point take the time to re scan Pg 12 but it didn't cut off too much. You can get the general idea as it is.
  by MEC407

Thanks for posting this!
  by KSmitty

Thanks for the help in getting it online.
I'm currently hunting for more, looking for anything from '75-'85 both B&M and MEC or GTI. If I find more I'll also try to scan that in and post it.
  by jbvb

I've scanned a number of the stations/track chart pages from a 1977 B&M ETT for my Unofficial B&M Page
  by Watchman318

Good stuff there. Noted the mention of "Dow Airport," and had to go look up when the AFB closed (1968).
Something else learned from looking up something seen in the ETT:
The Lawrence family was the driving force of the village of South Gardiner, to the extent that the railroad referred to the area as "Lawrence Mills."
(From Along the Kennebec: The Herman Bryant Collection, via Google Books.)

I'm still looking through the ETT for a key to this, but can anyone tell me what the notations T, X, R, and D are for various stations? Many stations show a 'T', so I'm assuming that's Telephone. (And if anyone wants to point me to what page the key is on, that would be appreciated.)

Sorry to drag the thread OT, but does anyone know the approximate location (lat./long.) of Dresden station (MP P48.23)? I might be able to eventually figure it out by its distance from Richmond and South Gardiner, but I know it's not actually within the boundaries of the town of Dresden.
Okay, maybe I do have too much time on my hands these days. :-P

Thanks.
  by jbvb

MEC notations were probably identical to B&M's, explained here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 7&t=150853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(search for "TNX notation in timetable" got it on the first page).
  by Watchman318

^^^ Excellent; thanks.
  by Watchman318

One more question (that I might be able to find the answer to somewhere in the document): Do the notations 'E' and 'W' in the column for "Sidings, Approximate Capacity Cars" indicate the direction for backing in/pulling out cars on a single-ended track? I.e., facing/trailing points?
Thanks.
  by jbvb

In the cases I'm familiar with, split siding capacities usually apply to separate sidings, with E & W or N & S indicating which side of the main(s) they were on. I have never seen an ETT give a track capacity or indicate a scheduled meet at a point where I know a train would have had to back in to clear. Which doesn't mean it never happened, just that I haven't seen it.