• More "Rebuild Kinzua Bridge" rumors?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Aa3rt

Mr. Kessler, Thanks for reviving this dormant topic and updating us on what's left of the Kinzua Bridge. I especially appreciate the photos. I'll most likely be headed up that way (Warren County) later in the year for my annual visit and will try to stop by and check it out for myself.
  by thebigham

The Weather Channel website has an article about the Kinzua Bridge:

http://www.weather.com/travel/bridge-de ... n-20130723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ten years after a tornado felled 11 of its 20 bridge towers, the historic Kinzua Bridge in McKean County, Pa., once considered an "Eighth Wonder of the World," is now a reinvented tourist attraction. Its ruins lure visitors by the thousands, and serve as a reminder of man's engineering feats and how Mother Nature can take them down.
  by thebigham

^Thanks, Russ!!

They should make an observation deck on the other end of the bridge. There is a trail that goes down into the valley from both bridge abutments. I've hiked it.
  by TB Diamond

The other end of the Kinzua bridge is on private property that is leased to a hunting club.
  by thebigham

^But, isn't that abutment on Kinzua Bridge State Park property?

I understand they are concerned about safety.
  by TB Diamond

The key word would be "Access".
  by lvrr325

Someone else owns the former RR ROW?
  by TB Diamond

Both barricaded and posted.
  by EMTRailfan

I'm not 100% sure of the details of the situation, but I was told that the KKRR leased ground on the wye end of the bridge for turning the locos. When it was embargoed, rails were removed immediately to get out from under the lease.