• CSX derailment at CP 359 10/18/2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

From http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3195026.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deputies say the train derailment is on the CSX tracks off of Lyndon Road in Perinton right next to the Fairport Little League complex. The call came in around 5:20 a.m.
  by O-6-O

Was the train east or westbound on the controlled siding? (Former West Shore track)
  by Matt Langworthy

From http://rochester.ynn.com/content/news/7 ... s-derails/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
They say the engineer was doing a push maneuver or switch that may have caused the train to derail.
"They" in the article refers to Monroe County Sheriff's deputies.
  by roadster

Old crappy ties and heavy grain cars caused rail roll over under the rear cars.
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

80-100 new ties installed much cheaper than this cleanup job.Sometimes it just makes you wonder .
  by RussNelson

U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner wrote:80-100 new ties installed much cheaper than this cleanup job.Sometimes it just makes you wonder .
True, but *which* 80-100 new ties do you install? Aye, that's the rub.
  by KEN PATRICK

i used 4 good relay ties ( turned over & plugged) per 40'. admittedly slow but heavy ( 286+) . used adjustable bars for the curves. no problems. ken patrick
  by BR&P

RussNelson wrote:True, but *which* 80-100 new ties do you install? Aye, that's the rub.
It is not necessary to have EVERY tie in perfect condition. The regulations speak of "effectively distributed" good ties and specify how many good ties must be present in a given distance. The number required increases as the allowed speed increases. In Russ' example, for relatively slow speed such as a siding, putting one of those 80-100 new ties out of each 4 ties would be fine.

I once saw an example of bureaucratic stupidity at work. When the OMID first took over from CR in 1979, there was a state-funded rehab on the West Hojack in progress. The spec called for replacing every 5th tie. In an incredible example of lunacy, that's EXACTLY what they did. The counted 5 ties, used the tie shears to cut the old one, and installed a new one. Never mind that 5th tie may have been in excellent shape, while the two on each side were totally rotten. The state specs demanded replacement of every 5th tie so that's what the state inspectors demanded that the contractor do.
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

BR&P wrote:
RussNelson wrote:True, but *which* 80-100 new ties do you install? Aye, that's the rub.
It is not necessary to have EVERY tie in perfect condition. The regulations speak of "effectively distributed" good ties and specify how many good ties must be present in a given distance. The number required increases as the allowed speed increases. In Russ' example, for relatively slow speed such as a siding, putting one of those 80-100 new ties out of each 4 ties would be fine.

I once saw an example of bureaucratic stupidity at work. When the OMID first took over from CR in 1979, there was a state-funded rehab on the West Hojack in progress. The spec called for replacing every 5th tie. In an incredible example of lunacy, that's EXACTLY what they did. The counted 5 ties, used the tie shears to cut the old one, and installed a new one. Never mind that 5th tie may have been in excellent shape, while the two on each side were totally rotten. The state specs demanded replacement of every 5th tie so that's what the state inspectors demanded that the contractor do.
That is the attitude and lack of common sense when your a gov't official spending taxpayers money!
  by Autoblock

Its another CSX derailment why all the hype? Sorry I had to say that!
  by BR&P

Autoblock wrote:Its another CSX derailment why all the hype? Sorry I had to say that!
I'm not sure what you mean by "all the hype". There was a derailment, someone posted the fact on here. That's what the forum is for.

If you are trying to say it's routine, you are both right and wrong. Derailments are a fact of railroad life - they happen. Cars on their sides are obviously a bigger deal but small stuff happens as a matter of course. On the other hand, if you are suggesting CSX is in poor repair overall, you probably are too young to remember the pre-Conrail days when it seemed like hardly a week went by without NYC, LV or EL having a mainline derailment somewhere. By comparison CSX today is in far better physical shape.

So what WERE you trying to say, and why did you HAVE to say that?
  by sd80mac

Autoblock wrote:Its another CSX derailment why all the hype? Sorry I had to say that!
The reason for me to posting the news of derailment is that there was likelyhood that it may have effect on the traffic. ESPECIALLY with the K040, with Viriginian in the lead, is on the way through rochester THAT VERY SAME DAY....

Small or huge derailment do affect the traffic.

fortunately is that K040 got held up in Buffalo for a while... Which the mess was cleared away from one of two tracks long before K040 showed up.
  by Matt Langworthy

Agreed. For those of us who are planning to railfan, especially on a precious day off from work, knowing where the trains are moving (or are not moving ) is very important. Sitting by the tracks for hours and seeing nothing is very, very frustrating.