• BNSF Conductor Testing

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by freshmeat

I was recently notified I was selected to take the BNSF conductor test and interview. Does anyone have any information on the test and/or interview process. Also during this time of year how long it may take from the interview until you're notified that you must take their physical?

Thanks in advance.

by RiverMP21

I went to the Conductor Testing and Interview a couple months ago. Basically, is starts with a Orientation session where an HR rep basically scares 25% of the people in the room with you away. This is on purpose, because if you don't know what you're getting yourself into with a railroad job, you shouldn't be wasting the railroads time. Another 5-10% will leave after the drug testing is brought up.

After the orientation, the testing begins - mostly math and personality questions... Once you finish the testing, you sign up for an interview. My interview was conducted by the HR guy and a training coordinator for the location I was hiring for. Other people also had the Supt. sit in for the meeting.

Once the interview is over, you are told to go home and wait to hear from them. I did my testing/interviewing on March 1st, and received an email with the job offer on March 4th. I then had to go through a physical examination and strength test, and I started my training class on March 29th.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!

Best of luck,
  by freshmeat

Thanks for the reply. The testing seems to be pretty standardized. I have a friend who just applied as a welder and what you described is the same test he described.

I have my DD-214 and college transcript to take with me as well.

The hiring time frame seems pretty fast. At the present time I am self employed so a three to four week window is ok.

Are you currently at Johnson County Community College? I've been looking at their web site and your start date for training corresponds with one of their classes.

Do you, or anyone else know if BNSF a 30 or 45 minute call to report window after probation? I live 35 minutes from the city I am applying for but I will relocate if necessary.

Thanks in advance,
Terry Smith

by RiverMP21

No problem, make sure you bring your DD214 - don't need the college transcript, however.

Our training is just being done out of the St. Louis crew terminal, there is a conference room where we did all of our classroom work.

On the job training started today, and runs for the next 5 weeks. This first week, I'm working a Utility job in Lindenwood Yard (Shrewsbury, MO)

BNSF is a 90 minute call, last I heard.