• New Signal Bridge and more in Packerton Yard!!!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

A new 3 mast signal bridge has been installed over the remaining tracks at Lehighton Intl. Looks awesome! The new signals NS installed along the CNJ ramp in 2010 are being replaced with yet another new signal mast!

Also the lone single mast signal along the tacks in front of where the shop building was located has been completely painted white and a sign with "A" on it has been placed just under the signal aspect.

What on earth is NS up to???
  by charlie6017

Pretty interesting.........did you happen to grab any photos of these? If ya did, I would like
to see what it looks like nowadays.

Charlie
  by carajul

I could not believe what Packerton yard has turned into. it is literally a complete vegetation jungle. it is totally a green forest with 2 tracks running through it. up until 10 years ago you could still tell it was a flat yard. but now it is nothing but a rainforest. The LV right of way has also been further obliterated by a parking lot just passed Lehighton interlocking. I don't know if NS actually sold the land or if people just take it upon themself to use it.

I do have photos that I took and we'll post them tomorrow. also just outside of Parryville there are new signals along the CNJ that are not active yet.
  by charlie6017

carajul wrote:I could not believe what Packerton yard has turned into. it is literally a complete vegetation jungle. it is totally a green forest with 2 tracks running through it. up until 10 years ago you could still tell it was a flat yard. but now it is nothing but a rainforest. The LV right of way has also been further obliterated by a parking lot just passed Lehighton interlocking. I don't know if NS actually sold the land or if people just take it upon themself to use it.

I do have photos that I took and we'll post them tomorrow. also just outside of Parryville there are new signals along the CNJ that are not active yet.
It is a shame that such a busy place as Packerton once was is essentially nothing today........thank goodness that
so many photographers recorded as much as they did to view today.

Is the R&N still interchanging with NS in this area?

Charlie
  by cr9615

Yes, RBMN PILE drops cars there which are picked up by NS H67 from Hazleton. I'm intrigued why they're doing all of these upgrades when all indications are that if anything this line will see less traffic than it is now.
  by charlie6017

I'm only guessing, but I wonder if it's to be compliant with the "positive train control" stuff
that's supposed to be in effect by around 2015?

I'm only speculating, though.

Charlie
  by carajul

Here are the pics. One if east looking at the new signals. One is west looking at remains of yard.

[attachment=1]b1.jpeg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]b2.jpeg[/attachment]
  by charlie6017

Thanks for posting the photos...........what a difference from the days of the CNJ and LV!
  by charlie6017

Bethlehem, I would guess that NS installed these as they look exactly like the signal masts/heads
that they installed on the Southern Tier line here in New York State and across the former Pennsy Main
in your neck of the woods.

Question: Are there any remnants/goodies (foundations, metal etc.) whatsoever within the vegetation that says "A yard was here!"
I am re-reading back through "LV Facilities" Volume 2 and read that the store-house was there until 2006. So many cool facilities once there
are gone.

Thanks,
Charlie
  by cr9615

Bethlehem Jct. wrote:Question: Who installed the new signals? NS or RBMN?
The interlocking is controlled by NS. The RBMN Lehighton Branch is supposed to get CTC though from what I understand.
  by carajul

As for what's left of Packerton Yard...

1. The shops were actually outdoors. Men would work on the cars out in the open. There were large sidewalks that ran parallel to the shop tracks. The cement sidewalks are still there, albiet burried in silt.

2. There was one light tower left behind the Kovach dealership but Kovach moved it to his facility in Nesquehoning. There were still spot lights on it too.

3. The warehouse was torn down by Carbon County who purchased the yard area. They claimed the warehouse was an eyesour and knocking it down would attract land developers. Now I just read the county gave up on the yard and wants to sell the land! I doubt any industry will move in there as the only access is tiny two lane 30mph Rt 209. A few days before it was torn down I went to take some pics. There were approx 20 people there looking at the structure saying a final goodbye. A fish & game officer came by and threatened to arrest of for tresspass if we didn't leave. We all laughed at him.

4. I think there are still two small buildings that were next to the warehouse.

Besides that there is really nothing left. The shops were closed and moved to Sayre in 1971 and the yard closed in 1972 when operations moved to A'town when the LV got the CNJ A'town yard. In true 1970s railroad style, after the yard was abandoned the trackage remained. CR removed it in the late 70s and sold the land. There really aren't a lot of photos of the yard from the heydays. Pics I've seen of the late 1960s show the yard in decrepid shape.

I was amazed at the vegitation growth. The shop area literally looks like a rainforrest. I remember the mid-1980s you could still tell it was a former yard as it was all flat dirt area.
  by charlie6017

Thanks for the great information........not a shocker that nothing came of out of it. Bummer--maybe
the warehouse would still be there if the county realized there wouldn't be a buyer for the property today.

No sense crying over spilled milk though.....

Charlie