• Grade profile of Ulster & Delaware/Catskill Mountain Branch

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Hi Everyone-

I'm looking for information regarding the grade profiles of the Ulster & Delaware/Catskill Mountain Branch.... They didn't call it "the old Up & Down" for nothing...

-otto-
  by RussNelson

In my experience, every railroad ever built (or attempted) has two maps registered with the county clerk's office: a route map and a grade profile map. Sometimes they're combined into one, where the grade is shown "next to" / "above" the route map with heights matching the route. That only works well if the railroad is mostly straight.

That said, maps get lost. I've found two out of three maps of the Pennsylvania and Sodus Bay (unfinished) railroad. The map index says there are three, but the clerk could only find two. :(
  by erie2937

I have in my collection a large format document the shows the profile of every NYC main line and branch line. The U&D/Catskill Branch is included. I have no idea how to put this onto the internet though. Hugh T. Guillaume
  by Statkowski

Run the individual pages through a scanner and save as either a JPEG or PDF file.

I could use a grade profile/route map for the NYC's Cambria County Railroad (the highest spot on the entire New York Central System).
  by Otto Vondrak

erie2937 wrote:I have in my collection a large format document the shows the profile of every NYC main line and branch line. The U&D/Catskill Branch is included. I have no idea how to put this onto the internet though. Hugh T. Guillaume

HTG- If you have access to a scanner and can scan the relevant pages and email them to me, I can post them here to share with everyone.

-omv
  by erie2937

The NYCS profile that I have measures 24"x40". There are no pages. It is one sheet. I cannot scan anything that big on my unit. Maybe there would be a way to make it available through the NYCSHS website. Noel could sell hard copies. I can send it to him if he thinks that is possible. Hugh T. Guillaume
  by Noel Weaver

erie2937 wrote:The NYCS profile that I have measures 24"x40". There are no pages. It is one sheet. I cannot scan anything that big on my unit. Maybe there would be a way to make it available through the NYCSHS website. Noel could sell hard copies. I can send it to him if he thinks that is possible. Hugh T. Guillaume
I am not even sure that I have such an object. If I do it is burried somewhere and not available for an relatively easy find at this time. Sorry I can't offer something better right now.
Noel Weaver
  by Partlow P.O.

Hugh, do you have a place that makes blueprints in your area? If so, they should be able to scan the map and make copies. If you have it scanned consider putting it on a flash drive, for future use. When scanning the map ask them to scan it at 600dpi, the detail on the copy will be as good as the original. I have had several maps for the Adirondack Division that are that big and bigger copied. It`s hard to tell the original and the copy apart.
  by Otto Vondrak

erie2937 wrote:The NYCS profile that I have measures 24"x40". There are no pages. It is one sheet. I cannot scan anything that big on my unit. Maybe there would be a way to make it available through the NYCSHS website. Noel could sell hard copies. I can send it to him if he thinks that is possible. Hugh T. Guillaume
HTG- I'd be more than willing to pay you for a copy. You should be able to go to any Staples or Kinko's that has a wide-format copy machine. I am trying to obtain this information on behalf of the Catskill Mountain Railroad Co. in regards to proposals to have the railroad removed in favor of a recreational trail over the entire length of the Catskill Mountain Branch (former Ulster & Delaware).

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

Anyone have any sources available that show the grade profile of the Catskill Mountain Branch from Kingston, NY, to Oneonta, NY? I'm willing to pay any costs involved.

-otto-
  by erie2937

Otto: I can try to copy the section of the profile sheet that includes the U&D. It will be small and may not be very legible. I will need a mailing address so that I can send it to you. Hugh T. Guillaume
  by Otto Vondrak

erie2937 wrote:Otto: I can try to copy the section of the profile sheet that includes the U&D. It will be small and may not be very legible. I will need a mailing address so that I can send it to you. Hugh T. Guillaume
I just sent you a private message with my address info. Thanks!

-otto-
  by mikeexplorer

That can be created with topographical mapping software. If I draw a track line along the U&D/CMRR I can create an elevation profile of the track. It might not be exactly what your looking for but it would work.

Otto Vondrak wrote:Anyone have any sources available that show the grade profile of the Catskill Mountain Branch from Kingston, NY, to Oneonta, NY? I'm willing to pay any costs involved.

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

mikeexplorer wrote:That can be created with topographical mapping software. If I draw a track line along the U&D/CMRR I can create an elevation profile of the track. It might not be exactly what your looking for but it would work.
I'd be interested since I don't know anything about mapping software myself. Anything would be a good start.

-otto-