• Clinchfield Railroad U36C's

• Forum dedicated to the Seaboard System Railroad and its predecessors, aka The Family Lines System, prior to its operational merger with the Chessie System, forming CSX, in 1982. Predecessors included the Atlantic Coast Line, the West Point Route, the Clinchfield, the Louisville and Nashville, the Seaboard Air Line, and the Seaboard Coast Line.
Forum dedicated to the Seaboard System Railroad and its predecessors, aka The Family Lines System, prior to its operational merger with the Chessie System, forming CSX, in 1982. Predecessors included the Atlantic Coast Line, the West Point Route, the Clinchfield, the Louisville and Nashville, the Seaboard Air Line, and the Seaboard Coast Line.
  by sullivan1985

Sorry if this is the wrong location for this posting, but I'm looking for some detail information on the Clinchfield Railroad U36C's.

Just wondering if they have marker lights in those units. This is for a modeling project. I could provide photos if anyone is interested.
  by Tadman

I think so. I'm looking at a very dark picture on page 111 of "America's Railroads" by Don Ball, with (2) SD45-2 and a U36C pulling a CRR coal train. The back of the U36C is very dark, but there appears to be a marker light above the rear number board right at the height where the radiator ears kick out. If you can get your hands on the book, go for it. I got mine as a kid and I've pored over every page many times.
  by Allen Hazen

Here (at George Elwood's marvelous "Fallen Flags" rail image site)
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/clin/clin3601abp.jpg
is a nice photo of a CLEAN 3601. There appears to be a standard GE-style marker light at the corner of the short hood.
  by sullivan1985

Allen Hazen wrote:Here (at George Elwood's marvelous "Fallen Flags" rail image site)
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/clin/clin3601abp.jpg
is a nice photo of a CLEAN 3601. There appears to be a standard GE-style marker light at the corner of the short hood.

Yes, I've seen this photo, but what I wonder is if they just had red markers, tri-color class lights, or nothing at all. It was common for the lenses to be installed even if there was no intention of a light to be put in behind them.
  by CHECKIT

As far as I have ever encountered working on these GE's, the standard marker lights had a swivel lens in front of (inside) the clear outer lens. With a knob it could be turned either white, green, or red depending on need, just by a quick flip of the lever or knob.
Hope this helps