• Motive Power update

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by kingfish

No.

There may be other issues not disclosed to the general public.

Kingfish
  by Steve F45

kingfish wrote:No.

There may be other issues not disclosed to the general public.

Kingfish
shame. hopefully it can make a come back.
  by sportsguy

Well aparently the SD60s are now OOS. From the NYSW Yahoo forum...
The NYS&W SD60s have been banned from the road since some type of bushing was left out of the trucks when they were rebuilt last year apparently, and the result was and too much lateral movement . And now the traction motors are damaged. Tonights SU-99 ran with 3016-3022-3018. The two SD60's that came in on SU 100 Weds AM, 3802-3810 stayed behind in Ridgefield Park, NJ. May be restricted to local/yard service for now, but look for the 3800's to be removed from service and sent for repairs. It sounds like this problem may have taken place during rebuilding, thus not the NYS&W's cost/problem. Stay tuned.....
  by Steve F45

Not OOS, just can't go on road trains. They'll probably be used around for local service till they are sent to be fixed.
  by nysw3636

Well, 3618 and 3634 were stored serviceable, then reportedly put up for sale. BRING BACK THE SD45's!!!
sportsguy wrote:Well aparently the SD60s are now OOS. From the NYSW Yahoo forum...
The NYS&W SD60s have been banned from the road since some type of bushing was left out of the trucks when they were rebuilt last year apparently, and the result was and too much lateral movement . And now the traction motors are damaged. Tonights SU-99 ran with 3016-3022-3018. The two SD60's that came in on SU 100 Weds AM, 3802-3810 stayed behind in Ridgefield Park, NJ. May be restricted to local/yard service for now, but look for the 3800's to be removed from service and sent for repairs. It sounds like this problem may have taken place during rebuilding, thus not the NYS&W's cost/problem. Stay tuned.....
  by sportsguy

I have to say this is one weird story since the SD60s powered last Friday's (2/1/13) SU99 two days after they were banned from the road.
  by charlie6017

Stories like this aren't horribly surprising to me........eccentric maneuvers on railroads aren't unheard
of. Pay attention for awhile and you'll understand what I mean. Next week the 3618 and 3634 could be back
off the market and on the road trains.

It's easier to just expect the unexpected! :-)

Charlie
  by brianc02

Transportation services are ALWAYS subjected to changes. Keeping the customer happy is very difficult and it must be done! From breakdowns, to bad weather and other miscellanous infrastructure problems railroads have many variables that can ruin an on time performance. I do not work for the railroad or any railroad. But I am heavily involved in another mode of transportation service that are impacted by the same variables. One thing is for certain, it's damn hard to start a diesel in 20 degree weather! I just hope those block heaters were turned on!
  by charlie6017

brianc02 wrote:One thing is for certain, it's damn hard to start a diesel in 20 degree weather! I just hope those block heaters were turned on!
That's for sure..........and hopefully they put an "Anti-Gel" type of additive in the diesel tanks. It's an ugly situation
when diesel gels up in extreme cold!

Charlie
  by kingfish

sportsguy wrote:Well aparently the SD60s are now OOS. From the NYSW Yahoo forum...

HORSE SQUEEZE.

Bushings left out of trucks...damaged taction motors...people need to start writing fiction novels.

When I have more time to write the correct information will be known.
  by ANDY117

Any news on the fate of all the stored power in Binghamton? How are the SD60s performing thus far?
  by Steve F45

King, I have a question only cause going thru some photos it got my mind going. Was NYSW ever looking at SD60M's with the non radial trucks if there were any available? And lastly just for my own curiosity, was brand spanking new power ever considered?
  by ANDY117

Now that the Utica Main is coming back, would that require some of these stored units in Binghamton to be brought back online? Which units need the least amount of work? Thanks!
  by nysw136

Anyone know where they parked the stored units in Binghamton? They were moved down east of EBD while rebuilding BD siding a couple of months ago, but a couple of weeks ago, they have moved again. Not sure where they are parked now. I'm talking about the SD70M's, SD45's, and the 3010.