• WNYRHS - Heritage Discovery Center, Buffalo, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

Seems the WNYRHS has an "RCPA Convention" coming up, starting January 17th thru the
21st. Here is the link:

http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/

Click on the link that says, "RCPA Convention sign-up" for the list of events.

Or go here: https://s07.123signup.com/servlet/SignU ... 4234182300

I found this purely by accident. I cannot fathom why anyone that belongs to the WNYRHS can't take a few
minutes to share this here with us to increase attendance......or waiting til the last minute to share, which
allows little/no time to plan for it. I just find it baffling. Oh well.

Charlie
  by erie2937

RPCA is Railway Passenger Car Alliance. WNYRHS is the host organization for this meeting. My understanding is that the event is not open to the general public, hence there has been no publicity. RPCA is an group of individuals and organizations that own and operate passenger cars in excursion service, on tourist railroads and on Amtrak. If you or your group belong to the RPCA then you or your group would already know about the event. Criticism of WNYRHS on this topic seems unwarranted. Hugh T. Guillaume (former trustee and founding trustee of WNYRHS)
  by pablo

Hugh, is it your serious opinion that the criticism here seems unwarranted? I believe that I've seen you on this board for a very long time. Are you aware at the poor handling of just about everything by the WNYRHS? Are you aware of the almost complete lack of publicity by the group? This is almost certainly the premier railfan website on the whole internet...and no one says anything to the people here. That's before I even get into the unbelievable problems I've personally witnessed with this group. Are you aware of all this?

Dave Becker
  by charlie6017

Well, if those guys are going to hold events like these that aren't open to the general public, then
I guess they aren't willing to bolster attendance and promote building the society.

I suppose that's what they are looking for........carry on!

Charlie
  by erie2937

Please note that in my post I used the term "on this topic" .

It is my understanding, which may be incorrect, that the upcoming RPCA event is not open to the general public. By that I mean that, unlike the train shows in Hamburg, you cannot walk up to the door, buy a ticket and walk in. You must yourself be associated with the RPCA in some way, either individually or through a group or corporation. Additional information on this will have to come from the WNYRHS.

Please note that I left the WNYRHS Board of Trustees twenty-five years ago. I am not on any of their committees nor am I involved in any of their activities or projects.

What little I know of the WNYRHS in 2013 comes to me in their newsletter or through various internet groups and boards. The latter sources cannot always be relied upon as purveyors of the facts, sometimes, but not always.
  by Windseeker1

I stopped in at the center this past Sunday with a friend. We were greeted repeatedly and enthusiastically by nearly everyone in the building that day! While the existing exhibit is rather small and static at this point, everyone involved is clearly excited about the potential of the center.
If I lived closer to Buffalo (I live in metro Rochester) I would do what I could to voluteer and support the center. As is, I will follow their progress closely and visit again as time allows.
  by Otto Vondrak

charlie6017 wrote:Well, if those guys are going to hold events like these that aren't open to the general public, then
I guess they aren't willing to bolster attendance and promote building the society.

Charlie
To be fair, the WNYRHS is only *hosting* this RPCA event. The event is RPCA's to promote. Since it's not open to the general public, there's no reason for WNYRHS to promote it.

That said, updates and information about WNYRHS activities do seem very hard to come by. I'm sure they're doing good work, I'd like to know more about it.

-otto-
  by charlie6017

Otto Vondrak wrote:
charlie6017 wrote:Well, if those guys are going to hold events like these that aren't open to the general public, then

Charlie
To be fair, the WNYRHS is only *hosting* this RPCA event. The event is RPCA's to promote. Since it's not open to the general public, there's no reason for WNYRHS to promote it.

That said, updates and information about WNYRHS activities do seem very hard to come by. I'm sure they're doing good work, I'd like to know more about it.

-otto-
Thanks Otto, Hugh, All:

I stand corrected and retract my comment.

I offer my apologies.

Charlie
  by CRAZY4TRAINS

In response to the recent critisim of the wnyhrs. I must say at this time is very unwarranted. In the past 5 five years I have watched great things happen from this group finally. Yes in the past there have been issues. I work for the village of williamsville and what has been done there is amazing especially with the lv caboose. They are now working with the local communities to make things happen which is great. I lived in west Seneca and visited the orchard park depot also a great restoration story. I have also taken the polar express train out of medina railroad museum using wnyhrs passenger cars. I was impressed to say the least of the ride and great condition of them. They have gotton there act together.
  by videobruce

I work for the village of williamsville and what has been done there is amazing especially with the lv caboose.
No surprise, there is plenty of $$ out there.
  by 161pw165

videobruce wrote:
I work for the village of williamsville and what has been done there is amazing especially with the lv caboose.
No surprise, there is plenty of $$ out there.
Uncalled for.....
  by videobruce

161pw165 wrote: Uncalled for.....
Oh, yes it is. An affluent suburb prospers at the cost of the city that has been forgotten. Spread the wealth for a change.