• Illinois Central Rail Road Questions

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by tlovinggood

Hello--

I am trying to research some information about my grandfather who was an engineer for the ICRR. He worked out of Memphis, Tenn. in the 1920's,--30's, 40's and retired in 1947. His name was Webster Perry Lovinggood and his route took him from Memphis Tn to Vicksburg, MS, I am posting this question on the Board to see if someone could direct me to a site where I might learn more about him and the ICRR. Thanks in advance

Tom Lovinggood
  by ExCon90

For questions about the Illinois Central, try the Illinois Central Historical Society at http://www.icrrhistorical.org. For specific information about your grandfather, the Railroad Retirement Board has information about individuals' employment history for the years after 1936 (there's a charge). Go to http://www.rrb.gov, and look under genealogy; they'll want the exact name, and the Social Security number if you have it.
  by JayBee

Obviously they will want the information off his RRB Card, since railroad employees from that era would never have a Social Security number. Your Railroad Retirement Board number replaces your Social Security Number if you are a Railroad Employee unless you have worked for a longer period off the railroad rather than for a railroad.
  by tlovinggood

Jaybee and ExCon--

Thank you so much for your help. I hope this turns something up on my grandfather

Tom Lovinggood
  by ExCon90

JayBee wrote:Obviously they will want the information off his RRB Card, since railroad employees from that era would never have a Social Security number. Your Railroad Retirement Board number replaces your Social Security Number if you are a Railroad Employee unless you have worked for a longer period off the railroad rather than for a railroad.
It's the same number -- and someone who never worked for a railroad might not know what an RRB number is.