• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by blockline4180

The rumors of more permanent trains over the Eastern Tier are getting burdensome!!! As the saying goes, I will believe it when i see it!!
  by charlie6017

nysw3636 wrote:No word on NS crews yet, but I did happen to catch a daylight NYSW SU-99 last Monday. Track looks better than it has in years, in my opinion...( I know I have 2 videos of this...The second one, which is this link, is in HD and had Sparrowbush added to it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv2-glgs ... ature=plcp
Very nice video...........great work! :-)

Charlie
  by northjerseybuff

Happy birthday to this thread! 2 years old tomorrow! So many rumors over the last 2 years of trains coming. I hope "x" day is near, because if we don't see anything happen in October, I will win this bet. Hope to still lose it, but we are getting into the tail end of 2012 and nothing yet. 1/1/13 see you at the erie hotel! At least my trip on MN will be nice with all of their improvements!
  by oibu

Well, we're at least beyond the idle speculation and rumors or the "they will do it, -someday-" stage and into the "will it be this month, next month, Jan 1?" stage. Things are happening, just a matter of getting all ducks lined up, i's dotted and t's crossed, and pulling the trigger.
  by northjerseybuff

we hope so OIBU!
  by blockline4180

oibu wrote:Well, we're at least beyond the idle speculation and rumors or the "they will do it, -someday-" stage and into the "will it be this month, next month, Jan 1?" stage. Things are happening, just a matter of getting all ducks lined up, i's dotted and t's crossed, and pulling the trigger.
I'm starting to doubt that now, especially since NS 3rd Quarter profits are projected to be much less this year than last year at this time! Simply put, sadly we COULD be heading into another downturn or Recession.
  by northjerseybuff

recession or not hasn't changed NS' view on the east end thus far.Times were "good" when they pulled 25k off the line
  by spflanger

Don't expect anything happening in the next few months. Metro North is starting a 7 week major rehabilitation of their mainline.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.d ... sitesearch

Also, the M&NJ is going to install welded rail and rehabilitate a grade crossing on the Warwick portion of their line to bring it up to Class 2.

So I wouldn't expect anything soon
  by oibu

And this on top of all the work MN has already done east of Port Jervis this year and last. May not be, but would not be surprised if this is all part of the equation of getting the line back into shape to support freight. Especially given that funding is not something most public agencies have an excess of right now, between the recession/gov't debt and budget crises/last year's flood damage.
  by charlie6017

OIBU, I was thinking the exact same thing---it all sounds good to me!

Charlie
  by Steve F45

what is MN upgrading? Wood ties to concrete, new rail? Was that new rail in Port Jervis ever installed?
  by K4Pacific

Sssshhhhh. Don't get them in a tizzy. Yeungling time is drawing near.
  by oibu

Is there a specific reason for the Yeungling, or just because any time is Yuenger time?