• Engine House Clerestory Roof?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by NellsChoo

Hello all

I am building a kit of a brick engine house, and it has a clerestory roof section. The kit doesn't supply window "glass" for this section, so I am wondering if such a roof setup is/was supposed to be left open to the air? (The kit is the many-moons-old Walther's 2-stall engine house)
  by scottychaos

In the deep south, maybe..but probably not. (even if its warm all year, it still rains)
so yes, the roof openings/windows should have glass..

the fact that the Walthers kit doesn't supply glass doesn't have have anything to do with prototype practice..
its either missing parts, or just cheapness on the part of the kit manufacturer..

Scot
  by NellsChoo

Cheap? A possible possibility! ;-) It appears this kit started in Europe, and seems to have been in production a LONG time!
  by Desertdweller

I have seen short line engine facilities in the Deep South that lack walls. I have seen others there that lack a building entirely.

So, I would think an engine house clerestory with widow openings but no glass would be entirely logical. The window openings would let out any smoke that did not make it to the smoke jack, and also serve an important ventilation function. They would let heat and fumes out, and let fresh air in.

The problem of rain coming in could be solved by a roof overhang on the clerestory section. So what if the top of a locomotive gets wet? Between the rails is likely to be an inspection pit with a sump pump.

Besides, if you do have window glass in the clerestory, who is gonna go up there to clean it?

Les