• UP Train Crew life

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by duluthrail616

I am new to the forum and have found it extremely informational. I just received my "release to start" status, and am set to begin training(train crew) on Jan 10th. Was wondering if anyone that has been through the training could tell me what to expect and the first few months on the job with UP. Ready for the life change and excited to start.
- Thanks
  by booma_135

alot of classroom stuff at the beginning and then eventually you will be on OJT for brakeman for a while. After that, you go into RCO class to learn how to run the box. At least that was my experience. I guess it was about 5 months total of training if I remember correctly. There are several tests you have to take in training with the conductor final at the end. You get two times to pass these tests or they terminate you. Now this may have changed since I went through (06) but that's about the jist of it.
  by duluthrail616

Thats kinda what I expected. My classroom training is 150 miles from my home terminal. Will my OJT, BIT, CIT be at my home terminal? Thanks for the info.
  by Prairieman

Chances are, yes. Our class in Iowa was made up of both CBSU and TCSU guys, but we all went our separate ways for OJT. What terminal you hiring out of?
  by duluthrail616

Prairieman wrote:Chances are, yes. Our class in Iowa was made up of both CBSU and TCSU guys, but we all went our separate ways for OJT. What terminal you hiring out of?

- Itasca, WI (Superior) Prairieman-what are you doing now job wise?
  by booma_135

duluthrail616 wrote:Thats kinda what I expected. My classroom training is 150 miles from my home terminal. Will my OJT, BIT, CIT be at my home terminal? Thanks for the info.
I did my class in Spring, TX and all my OJT/BIT/CIT stuff in corpus christi and kingsville, tx
  by duluthrail616

I did my class in Spring, TX and all my OJT/BIT/CIT stuff in corpus christi and kingsville, tx[/quote]

Where were you hired out of? And do they cover the hotel for the weeks I am in training? Sorry, got a lot a questions, just want to talk to the guys that are doing what I will be doing and how they like it. Any Info is great!
-Much appreciated
  by Caseyjoenz

They will pay for the hotel and will give you a daily meal allowance ($25?). I hired out in 1995 and things are much different now, but I do know they will take care of the hotel and meal money.
  by Lilbastard73

I, too, received a "release to start" notice for the same position. I assume that you will receive your training in rosemount, mn starting Monday, January 10, 2011. I may be able to answer some of your questions as I will be in the same training class. Send your email to: [email protected] and I will send you my phone number.
  by jeffd

As a follow-up I have a possible start date of May 1, 2011, are the classes Monday thru Friday with weekend off? How long does the 1st class session last and then do you go to OJT then back to for more classes? Reason for questions is we are expecting 1st baby mid July and try to figure if I will be able to be ther for delivery.

Thanks
  by FLYINGTIGER12

jeffd wrote:As a follow-up I have a possible start date of May 1, 2011, are the classes Monday thru Friday with weekend off? How long does the 1st class session last and then do you go to OJT then back to for more classes? Reason for questions is we are expecting 1st baby mid July and try to figure if I will be able to be ther for delivery.

Thanks
Classes for new hire train crews are Monday through Saturday. I start March 28th. Not sure what happens after that.
  by duluthrail616

New hire classes will be Monday thru Sat for 3 weeks. Pretty much all rules and test so you can keep your job. After that you will go into 4weeks of OJT at your hired out terminal. After the 4 weeks of OJT is up, you will head back for 2 weeks of Conductor classes, which is more in depth and will have several test again to hold your job. Good Luck to you guys! I had many questions as well coming in, any others let me know.--Where did either of you hire out?
  by sailordave

Hello guys, I just got my release to start notice, and will start traing May 9. Can anyone tell me how business is looking in Ft. Worth, and if people are being furloughed in the area.
  by FLYINGTIGER12

sailordave wrote:Hello guys, I just got my release to start notice, and will start traing May 9. Can anyone tell me how business is looking in Ft. Worth, and if people are being furloughed in the area.
Might be a little late but things in the Fort Worth hub are looking pretty good. We still have quite a few barrow-out employees working out here. Chances of being able to work in Fort Worth after you're finished training aren't looking to good but you'll be able to work in other areas like West Texas and Oklahoma no problem.

I hired out last year and chose to stay in West Texas working the regular turn from Sweetwater to Pecos. I never had to work the yard outside of training and I went into engine service a YTD of me hiring on.
  by choochooman

If you work as a conductor do they start you off at 100% like they do on the BNSF?