• Anybody Familiar with these books?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by MEC407

Hmmmm...

It says that it covers the GP69, GP70, B18-7, B28-7, C23-7, and C28-7... none of which were ever actually built by EMD or GE.
  by Allen Hazen

GE may not have build any C28-7 (etc), but they did think about them, and included them in the models covered in the Dash-7 operator's manual (available on-line at the "Fallen Flags" rail image site).

I do not know the books advertised in the link.
  by MEC407

Indeed. But what's also odd is that the book excludes the U18B, which GE did build.

As for the GP69 and GP70, is there any evidence that EMD ever considered those or offered them to railroads?
  by Jay Potter

I would describe the books -- particularly the first two -- as generic operating manuals. They contain some information regarding specific locomotive models; however their primary differentiation is between EMD locomotives and GE locomotives; and they focus on the mechanical and electrical systems that are common to each manufacturer's locomotives. They are all pocket-sized; and they seem to be intended to be carried, and used as references, by operating officers. For the past several decades, they were edited by a series of two people, the first of whom was Chessie System's superintendent locomotive operations and the second of whom was CSXT's director locomotive productivity.
  by WSH

Ok, well I might give them a try. A generic operating manual is something I'm actually looking for. I have a few locomotive specific operating manuals but they seem to only say what/where everything is, not really what it does and how to use it.
  by scottychaos

There are now "publishers" who are offering books for sale on places like Amazon,
that are simply collctions of information taken from the internet, usually wikipedia, but the info can be taken from anywhere..
they are "desktop published" at home..

Im not saying these locomotive manuals are in that same catagory..I dont know..
but its just something to be aware of..

Scot
  by Jay Potter

The link in the initial posting identifies the publisher, which is the International Association of Railway Operating Officers. The information in the books comes primarily from locomotive manufacturers and from the personal experiences of railroad operating officers. The editor of the current editions had 42 years of service on WM, Chessie, and CSXT.
  by WSH

To follow up.

I decided to order the book last week, as the site doesn't have a "shopping cart"/"checkout" feature I just emailed the guy and requested a book. He replied on Friday that he'd shipt the book out and include an invoice. To my surprise the book arived with the mail the following Monday, not bad for MT to WV!

The book was a little smaller than I'd expected, probably around 4"x6". It is a very nice book and has a durable soft cover similar to locomotive specific manuals I've come across. The book was very detailed and well laid out. It covers basic operation, current controls for EMD and GE locomotives, braking, and troubleshooting. The description is very very accurate: "A textbook on the operation of today's locomotives". I think anyone who orders this book will be very pleased.
  by Engineer Spike

I have a copy from the 1980s, which covers up to the EMD 50 series. That one had a Bombardier/MLW section, in addition to the EMD and GE chapters. There were also chapters on air brakes, and train handling.