• Track Switches

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by matchbox44471

Does anyone have any experience adjusting track switches? If so, what is the purpose of floating the lock rod?
  by dogsboss

I would like to know what 'floating the lock rod' means? As well as the fact that I'm very much in need of some advice on the adjustment of a Racor 'submarine switch', ie; a switch stand located in a metal box flush w/ the street surface, with a spring loaded connecting rod. In reality this is a switch more likely to be used in a street railway situation, but I need to deal with it. Thanks for any advice.
  by Georgia Railroader

T&E dont mess with adjusting switches, unless someone ran through one and are trying to shim it LOL. I've never attempted to adjust one, that's not my department.
  by Desertdweller

Coming from T&E (and Station Ops) I don't know much about switches either. They can be adjusted for a considerable range of motion, unless they have been run through.

One thing I did learn about submarine switches, though. Don't stick your hand down there until you know for sure nothing is hiding in there waiting for you. Could be a snake, a rat or a tarantula in there!

Les
  by Freddy

It's a method of lining up the internal locking rods to make sure a switch locks up correctly. I was a maintainer on CSX and thats the only way I can describe it. It's one of the things that
has to be shown because it's to hard to describe in writing. At least for me it is.
  by matchbox44471

Thanks
I have been working with switches for csx and What you said makes sense
  by Chuckl

I'm not sure just exactly what point of adjustment you are asking about. The standard procedure for most switches is: Determine the "throw" of the switch in inches, usually either 4.75" or 5.5"; Insure that the correct crank lever is on the switch stand (same "throw length" as the switch points); Center the segment gear assembly inside under the cover (inside the switch machine); Center the throw lever (handle) vertically; hold the switch points in the open position, equal distance from each stock rail; Set switch stand on switch ties with Number One switch rod and actuating rod in correct position; spike (or screw) switch stand to switch ties; Check for correct operation; use internal shims as necessary to insure points close tightly against stock rails.