• Question on Approach Limited and Advance Approach

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Lackawanna565

One of the home signals at Rheems Interlocking on the #1 track shows approach limited and at Leaman Interlocking on Amtrak's Keystone Corridor. Is approach limited more favorable than advance approach? Someone told me that the reason why the signal at Rheems shows approach limited because there is "no next signal". If that was the reason. Another signal Rheems for westbound trains didn't show that aspect. I guess the reason why those two signals showed it because of a short block length ahead.
  by ThirdRail7

Lackawanna565 wrote: Is approach limited more favorable than advance approach?
Slightly.

Advance Approach tells you to proceed prepared to stop at the second signal and if you're exceeding limited speed, train must begin reduction as soon as the engine passes the signal.

Approach Limited tells you to approach the next signal at limited speed. Note, it doesn't tell you to be prepared to stop at any point.

Lackawanna565 wrote:
Someone told me that the reason why the signal at Rheems shows approach limited because there is "no next signal". If that was the reason. Another signal Rheems for westbound trains didn't show that aspect. I guess the reason why those two signals showed it because of a short block length ahead.
Using that logic, how can you comply with approach limited? Whether you have an Advanced Approach or Approach Limited, the next signal is still miles and miles away. In 562 territory, signals indications apply to the interlocking limits, then cab signal applies.

This is why I constantly rail against 562 territory and its mindless application.