• Land Clearing Adjacent to SRNJ in Winslow Junction

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by MedicSutton

Took my dog for a walk along the Row north between 561 and rt 30 Thursday. I happened to notice that there was a large section of Land that had recenty been cleared between the Southern Secondary row and spring rd. Does anyone have any information as to why this was done and if it is related to any of the local railroad operations?
  by Jtgshu

That would be nice!

Is it where Spring Road curves away from the ROW or closer to Route 30?

On a seperate, but kind of similar (maybe) question, while looking at Bing maps, i noticed a factory off Fleming Pike, just south of the end of track for the storage cars, that has 3 boxcars on a siding - one at the building, and two just past it. They look kind of older, any info on those cars?

Also, at the end of track, there looks to be a bunch of old ties....are they sitting on a flat car? It looks like they might be.

I gotta get down there more and explore....ehhhh i mean qualify :)
  by David

Box cars have been there for MANY years. John, join us on June 30th. We will be exploring that area on our way to Woodbury to Salem excursion.
  by MedicSutton

It was where spring road breaks away from the row.. I did hike up that row back in 2005. They cleared it up quite distance from what I remember.. Last year I thought I saw tank cars on the row just south of 30 from the hwy.. I wanted to walk it straight up to the 30 bridge but my girlfriend found ticks on her pants and freaked out.. As far as that clearing project.. It appears that they have cleared hundreds of acres of thick forest. I figured there would be something online by now describing as to the reason for it whether it be a subdivision, sports fields, factory, rail yard, or whatever lol
  by Jtgshu

David wrote:Box cars have been there for MANY years. John, join us on June 30th. We will be exploring that area on our way to Woodbury to Salem excursion.
Ill have to keep it in mind David! I wonder what will happen this time.... :)

ticks....ugh.....

Last time I was down exploring the SS with Kaback, at one point, we were down by the Route 72 bridge, and yes, ticks galore.....It was kind of funny actually, nothing like driving down the road then jamming on the brakes and jumping out of the car AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HAHAHAHAH Good thing there was no one around, or it probably would have made America's Funniest Home Videos....

Was a good day tho, somehow, we saw FOUR trains in/around Winslow Jct within about a 30 minute period (no not all NJT trains, just 2 of them). That has to be a record....
  by David

Kaback always draws ticks--even in the winter. Sometimes he ticks me off--lol. Hope you can join us. A lot has changed at Winslow Junction.