• 84 Lumber razed

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by nyandw

There's a cab view of 84 Lumber at the tail end of this You Tube video showing a Central Branch train traveling from Babylon to Islip in the early 1990's. Was the 84 Lumber building recently razed? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nKm9ciPHAY appears about 8:37

When was it razed?
  by No Door Light

Took a ride by this morning, and it is all still there. The siding was empty, nothing going on.
  by nyandw

No Door Light wrote:Took a ride by this morning, and it is all still there. The siding was empty, nothing going on.

Thank you for the clarification NDL: Thus, I posted this then in error based on info provided; my apologies Folks. Thus, the business is closed. (Yes?) The turnout and siding are still active for Velvetop box/tank car deliveries.
  by workextra

nyandw,
Yes-84 Lumber building is still standing, Yes it is currently unoccupied.
Yes- The switch is still in but I have not seen a car on that siding since the BN box car was removed prior to closing.
There was an off line consignee that took tank cars on the East end of the spur as a team track
  by nyandw

workextra wrote: '...There was an off line consignee that took tank cars on the East end of the spur as a team track
..."

Thanks for the clarification, work extra. Here are freight photos from that location: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/islip/islipfreight.htm Examples: ImageDow Chemical (DOWX) Calcium Chloride Tank car view NW 03/31/08
Team Track for Velvetop Photo: Mike McDermet

Image ATW #8155 & KWT #42021 Velvetop freight loaded onto flatbed for delivery 08/09/2008
Photo: Mike McDermet

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/islip/ ... ip2008.jpg map of area with the Velvetop locations.

CaCl2 is used in the production of road and paving materials. The offloaded sacks(?) also contain dry materials used in the processes. Anyone know the actual loads in these palletized sacks? These are being transported, perhaps to the Velevetop location on Grant Ave, Islip or another location for processing?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Calcium Chloride is used for road (rock) salt in winter.
  by nyandw

Uses of calcium chloride include road dust control, base stabilization and road construction, etc. Liquid calcium chloride is a key ingredient in road construction as it is used as a cement accelerator used in cold climates, for example.It is used as a top seal/dressing as Velvetop sells.
  by freightguy

I think Ruco/Hooker chemical took the same product. I can remember spotting a car in there and the foreman saying sometimes it was used for tennis courts. Kind off funny this was around 2000 and he was there since 1947 he told me. Probably worse than the Brooklyn Navy Yards with all the chemicals for that time length.
  by tj48

nyandw wrote:Uses of calcium chloride include road dust control, base stabilization and road construction, etc. Liquid calcium chloride is a key ingredient in road construction as it is used as a cement accelerator used in cold climates, for example.It is used as a top seal/dressing as Velvetop sells.
When my street was torn up and rebuilt a few years ago a Velvetop tank truck sprayed calcium choride on the dirt at the end of each day to keep the dust down until the street was paved.
  by freightguy

I can tell you Velvet Top also had a contract with some of the local school districts for the calcium chloride. They took these cars in Islip and Huntington team tracks. At one point like 4 of the tanks cars were sitting in Hunt rusting to the rail. Greenlawn DEF was another location, but not anymore. At Greenlawn they would drive right down the street with the forklift.
  by Teutobergerwald

The Greenlawn team track is almost completely covered in mud and, I recall, fouled by spilled concrete. Also, the loading dock looks like an ancient ruin. I remember seeing boxcars spotted there, but not in a long time. Too bad. Maybe, if NYA re-habbed it, some business could be drummed up again.
  by nyandw

Folks, Previous razed info by me "corrected" photos: Image

The "tag" vandals are at work. Yipes, here we go again with the: "It is art!" nonsense...

All photos courtesy above: Mike McDermet 4/21/2012
  by LB

You can see where they previously painted over the graffiti only to have the building get tagged again. I thought kids these days stayed home texting and playing video games instead of vandalizing property. Looks like the buildiing paid a visit to a bad tatoo parlor.
  by Sir Ray

84 Lumber still has a presence on Long Island - is there a reason they closed this outlet (with rail service) as opposed to the outlet in Patchogue?