• B&O position lights not on B&O

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by train2

Group,

At one time, a railroad that was not the the B&O, but likely affiliated with that eastern carrier, had B&O Position lights as its signal system that was in the general west/southwest of Chicago area. I a having a real hard time remembering the original carrier and who has that line today? My memory is Amtk service was on the route but I am not entirely certain of that fact.

What route am I thinking of? Was it a line to St Louis?

And most importantly what is the status of the signals these days? Long ago replaced? Still in service?

T2
  by shlustig

Chicago & Alton which at one time was affiliated with the B&O.

Became part of the Gulf. Mobile & Ohio (GM&O).

Chicago to St. Louis, used by Amtrak and being upgraded for higher-speed service.

Don't know the present status.
  by train2

And forgive me: GM&O went to IC, is that correct? Is that who operates today? Did not one of the regionals get some of this line?

Hoping someone can answer the current status of the signal system?

T2
  by spRocket

CN/IC still controls the tracks from Chicago to Joliet Union Station. I don't recall that portion ever having CPLs. To the south, it is now UP (ex-SP, ex-Gateway Western, ex-Chicago, Missouri and Western). The CPLs began at Mazonia Junction just north of Gardner, and there were also some on the detour line through Coal City. I never saw CPLs on the main line between Joliet and Mazonia, even in the 1970s. The last time I took a trip down I-55, there were very few remaining (all south of Normal), and I would expect they're all gone by now (or at least rapidly disappearing).