• It is with regret......employee passes away

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by rcbsd45

I note the passing, on Feb 15, 2012, of retired Southern Division engineer/conductor/ former yardmaster/trainmaster Robert Aschoff, after a lengthy battle with cancer. Bob had retired from the Southern Division ony a couple of years ago, only to be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer not too long afterwards. He was one of the "old timers", having hired out in the 1970's, in the pre-Delaware Otsego/Walter Rich days. He worked as a conductor, engineer(the last few years we was regularly working with now retired engineer Andy Francovic) and did a stint as a yardmaster/trainmaster. Bob was only in his 60's, and will be sorely missed by his family, friends, and co-workers. I had the pleasure of knowing him for many years, and I will miss him as well. The battle is over; may he rest in peace. As he lived in Bergen County, NJ, any arrangements should likely be posted in the Bergen Record. as of this posting, they are pending.
  by waldwickrailfan

JBHUNTFAN wrote:Did hew ever work the Ontrack
The OnTrack service was on the Northern Division. He was working on the Southern Division.
  by RussNelson

"Pancreatic cancer is rare", they say. Don't believe anybody who says that. Seems like lately everybody I know, and a few I don't (e.g. Bob), who has died, has died from pancreatic cancer. It kills, and it kills quickly. I hope Bob enjoyed what little retirement time he had, and I'm sorry for your loss.
  by NaDspr

Bob never worked for On-Track. He spent his time on the Southern Division. Seems like his train service seniority was 1974.
He was in the mechanical department at one time too.