• New RDC Model

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Desertdweller

Yesterday, I was in Caboose Hobbies in Denver. I saw Kato's N-scale NYC jet-powered RDC.

It was a nice-looking little model, with a shovel nose and a dual jet engine installation on the roof behind the cab. The engines looked like the twin-podded units found on B-52 or B-47 bombers. It would be nice to have as a novelty.

But, how could one of these be worked into model railroad operations?

Comments, please.

Les
  by jwhite07

Got a pike with a lot of tangent track? ;-)

FWIW, Wikipedia has the jet engines as GE J47-19, same kind as the jet booster engines on B-36 bombers.
  by Desertdweller

Not enough tangent track for that thing!

It would clash with the ambiance of my model railroad.

Maybe a string of these could be a precursor of the United Aircraft Turbo Train?

This reminded me of the Zeppelin propeller driven railcar of the 1930's.

It makes sense it would be powered by J-47's. The B-36 bombers were being phased out at about the time this thing was created, providing surplus engines. The J-47 was also used to power Craig Breedlove's "Spirit of America" land speed record car.

The J-47's were actually retro-fitted to the early production B-36's. The plane was designed and put into production as a piston-driven 6-engined aircraft. I was able to examine one last summer. It was awesome!

Les