• O Gauge Boxcars

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by chrisnewhaven

Boxcars such as the Lionel 6464 series and MTH Railking offerings are often described as "near scale". However, I also have some scale PS-1 boxcars that dwarf the Lionel and Railking Cars. Are these cars really near scale and are based off of boxcars other than the PS-1? If not, then does anyone know how far they differentiate in scale?
C.J.V.
  by Earle Baldwin

Box cars in Lionel's 6464 series and MTH's RailKing range are indeed undersized. If your desire is properly scaled box cars, those made by Weaver, Atlas, Lionel and MTH as part of its Premier Line are suitable. Specific details such as door width and type, number of side panels, etc. may be generic as should be expected on a mass produced model but the cars' overall dimensions are accurate. K-Line (no longer in business) released some nice scale box cars and another company known as Crown Model Products offered scale pieces as well. Weaver has since added the former Crown models to its range. I personally prefer the scale box cars offered by MTH and Atlas. I find they offer the best possible combination of solid construction, an appropriate level of detailing and well executed decoration.

Combining 6464 and RailKing box cars in the same consist with scale dimensioned models is difficult. If kept in separate trains - 6464 and RailKing cars with other undersized rolling stock and scale box cars with other accurately sized models - you can get away with it. That said, I do know folks who mix and match anything regardless of fidelity to scale. It all depends upon how accurate you want your railroad to be.

I hope this helps.
  by chrisnewhaven

Thanks, it does! With any scale cars (except boxcars) the undersized boxcars look fine, as well as any other undersized cars with my scale cars. It's only with the scale boxcars with the undersized ones were they look weird. Oh well, I just gotta keep them separate and live with it.
C.J.V.