• Rockingham Jct.

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by ihdavis1

I saw this photo http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20111 ... 125439.jpg on nerail photos the other day and had a question about it. This photo was taken back when the Portsmouth and Concord was still intact, thus the diamond is present. However, my question is what was the track just to the right (the one with the two 55g drums at the end)of the mainline used for. Old siding, portion of the old double track?
  by pnolette

Checking some old track charts,looks like it was a siding.The Manchester-Portsmouth line was never double tracked.
  by Dick H

There is a photo facing the opposite direction in "Boston and Maine Memories"
(Photography and Career of Preston Johnson by Geoge and Katherine Melvin 2010).

The photo shows the Manchester-Portsmouth local with loco 1563 on June 26, 1961.
In the far left side of the picture, there is just a "sliver" of a car parked on that
track. From the curved roof, it appears to be possibly a baggage car. Speculation
on my part, but it might have been a retired car used for MOW or other storage.
  by skyraider0609

ihdavis1 wrote:I saw this photo http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20111 ... 125439.jpg on nerail photos the other day and had a question about it. This photo was taken back when the Portsmouth and Concord was still intact, thus the diamond is present. However, my question is what was the track just to the right (the one with the two 55g drums at the end)of the mainline used for. Old siding, portion of the old double track?
Thanks for posting that great old pic of Rockingham Junction. It took me a minute or so to figure out where the photographer was standing, but once I got it, it clicked. It's neat to see what it looked like 50 odd years ago. I've had many stops there when my kids were small to watch a train pass through. It's good the old building never got torched, although the refurb project has been stalled now for some years. Not sure what's going on there.

Thanks again.

Pete