• Buying an HO scale model train from Europe

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by scharnhorst

I got mine a few months ago and dropped it off to a local hobby shop back in November to have a DCC Decoder installed in it. Chris informed me that Mine posed a bit of a challenge as It had a different style stack and pilot not seen before on TEM-2's along with a few other small extra details. It was also the First TEM-2 that he had ever seen where the railings did not connect to the cab. We both came to the conclusion That this Locomotive could be a Rebuild or is proof that New Locomotives are being built or upgraded at an unknown Locomotive factory in Ukraine. I had mine done up in the Ukrainian National Railway. The pics of the model are way to big to post so here are pic's of what Mine looks like I also chose the road number off the unit that's in the pic.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 006_G1.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 006_G2.jpg
  by Petz

Many thanks for the information; so it seems you got the first two TEM2´s Chris had built.
I´m bit too conservative to use DCC so mine will be supplied by a MRC 260 transformer/rectifier.
  by scharnhorst

I was going to order 2 TEM-2 back last November but scaled back to ordering just 1 as I had lost my job in a layoff with in weeks of getting my order in. I do have plans to order a 2ed one that's if he has any shells left. I'll have call the person who is putting the DCC Decoder in I was told that a small N Scale decoder should fit nice in the unit and the job to install it plus labor is $37.80
  by Petz

Based at the shell´s form any decoder usable for an Alco RS3 should fit Chris´s TEM2 locos too.
I will use my two TEM´s as a team and sometimes combined with the 2TE10U set but as a culture shock Image also with Alco RS and RSD´s...Image
  by scharnhorst

Petz wrote:Based at the shell´s form any decoder usable for an Alco RS3 should fit Chris´s TEM2 locos too.
I will use my two TEM´s as a team and sometimes combined with the 2TE10U set but as a culture shock Image also with Alco RS and RSD´s...Image
The ALCO RSD units would not be that far off ALCO had built an order for6 axle ALCO RSD-1's for Iran's rail network in the early 1940's the units never made it Iran they were sent to to the Soviet Union to help with the war effort and stayed there after the war which is why the TEM's look a lot like ALCO's RS and RSD series but with more of a beefed up look to them.
  by Petz

I know the history but the "culture shock" is concerning those americans who negotiate that the russians did functional copies and proper developements of Alco and FM techniques.
  by scharnhorst

Petz wrote:I know the history but the "culture shock" is concerning those americans who negotiate that the russians did functional copies and proper developements of Alco and FM techniques.
True for a while there were some TEM-7's that sat at a port in Texas sadly they never saw any use and were cut up for scrap. My plans this year are to make a 5th trip to Ukraine and try to sit track side up on the West side of Kiev by the Train Station there is a little park with a steam locomotive in it just to the South West of the yard with a foot bridge next to it.