Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1558638  by newkirk

HOLY DD-1 BATMAN !!!!
Photo: Steve Zabel collection

Is this location Kew Gardens ?

Tuscan Red and "Tichy"
Photo: Steve Zabel collection (Nov 1, 1970)

Interior view with chandeliers.
Photo: Steve Zabel collection (Nov 1, 1970)

Combine at Jamaica

'54's at Jay

Baggage motor or Baggage RPO ?

"Pings" at Penn

"Ping" interior view
Photo: Steve Zabel collection (Mar 16, 1969)

#1558664  by CTG

<i> Is this location Kew Gardens ?</i>

I think so -- looking at the Google satellite view, the roof lines on the houses are a very close match to what you would see if you were standing on the westbound platform at Kew Gardens and looking to the west. Surprisingly similar given the number of years that have passed, actually.
 #1558668  by nyandw

Absolutely fabulous material posted by all! The lack of documentation as to location/date/etc. is very unfortunate as this material passes into history as the LIRR doesn't document history AND in so many cases the Families just trash the material, or it is donated/buried in Libraries that provide little to no access... Sad
 #1558699  by RGlueck

How about everyone chip in and purchase me a top of the line scanner for 2.25"sq negs and slides? I'll continue to post! 8-)
 #1558737  by newkirk

Wait.........there's more. (All photos - Collection of Steve Zabel)
MP-54 Combine in Jamaica.

A day at the races at Belmont. (Marx Brothers film reference. lol)

Kew Gardens with a combine or RPO car.

Approaching Nostrand Ave.

Broadside "el" shot with a Piel's beer truck to boot !

Mixed bag consist at Queens Village.
Can you spot the different car classes ? (July 21, 1971)

Queens Village with MP-70's at both ends.
East end MP-70 painted in MTA scheme. (October 19, 1971)

Looks like Union Hall St. station.
 #1559149  by newkirk

For those of us who are snowed in today. (All photos: Bill Mangahas)

Bellerose (February 2000)

East of Huntington (January 1985)

Glen Street (January 1985)

East Williston (February 1992)

Locust Valley (January 1, 2001)

Locust Valley (January 28, 2000)

Massapequa (March 1992)

Mill Neck (February 2000)

Mineola (January 1981)

Pinelawn (January 1985)

Sea Cliff (January 2001)

Wyandanch (January 1985)
 #1559192  by Pensyfan19

I know this isn't a competition, but I'd have to give an award to Newkirk. Great pictures from the past few decades, especially for the extremely rare photos of Ping Pong coaches at Penn in the 60s and their interiors.

Edit: Please disregard the grammar errors in the next post. Forgot to fix that sentence. :/

Here's a few more from me just because.
Last edited by Pensyfan19 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1559208  by newkirk

Pensyfan19 wrote: I know this isn't a competition, but I'd have to give an award Newkirk the winner. Great pictures from the past few decades, especially for the extremely rare photos of Ping Pong coaches at Penn in the 60s and their interiors.
Thanks Pensyfan19. No competition here, everyone who posts photos are winners. All to create the need for spirited discussion and flat out reminiscing.

Tis the season !!
 #1559267  by Pensyfan19

Teutobergerwald wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:00 pm The last picture above- location?
1. Two MP15ACs idling at the end of a tie train in Kings Park towards the end of Summer 2020.

2. Brand new M9 railcars leave Huntington Station on their first revenue run on September 11, 2019.

3. A local eastbound to Greenport led by engine 420 passes by the abandoned Calverton station in mid-August. That was one of many times I saw 420 on the Greenport branch that week as I visited the east end on the North Fork almost every day that week.

I also have video footage of the first and third pictures.

This is almost my 1000th post on the site at the time I am posting this.
 #1559317  by newkirk

Some oddball stuff.

The Asharoken at GCT for a ERA fan trip. I did not attend so I don't know the itinerary .
Photo: Bill Mangahas (May 1981)

ex-LIRR bar-generator car at the Brooklyn Army terminal. I was told the 600v generator provided power for the overhaul of the Chicago Transit Authority 1969 Budd "L" cars.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (July 1989)

Long abandoned Vanderbilt Motor Parkway overpass that was later removed before the arrival of the C-1/C-3 bi-levels.
Photo: Jay Bendersky (December 11, 1982)

Garrett GT/E cars going out for scrap parked on the Bay Ridge branch.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (January 17, 1992)

ex-MP 54 work car, "W" work car number not known. Do you know ?
Photo: Bill Mangahas (January 17, 1993)

M-1 #9755 with no yellow band on front bonnet. Were there any others ?[
(June 12, 1982/b]

"JAWS" at old KO yard in Ronkonkoma.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (August 1980)

Location: Port Jefferson. These are the farthest east tracks used for storage, This should be the remains of the Wading River branch. Has this scene changed since 1983 ?
Photo: Bill Mangahas (August 1983)

Out of service power pack being towed for repairs. This is Roslyn Rd when it was a grade crossing.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (February 1980

This was the LIRR "Heritage Train' that was on display at Flatbush Ave around the time of the Bi-Centennial.
Location is Shea Stadium.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (August 1982)

Combine #1391, part of the Heritage Train . Correct if I'm wrong, I believe this is on Rte. 347 in Suffolk County.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (December 26, 1988)

W-6 in Johnson Ave yard.
(Photo: Bill Mangahas: (February 1980)

Could this also be W-6 near Sunnyside yard ? I would always see it parked there before my train would enter the East River tunnels.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (April 1984)

#1559324  by Pensyfan19

The former Wading River Branch has changed since that photo was taken. A lot... I think the Port Jeff yard was expanded in 1998 to make room for more C3s and DE/DMs.

I've heard of yellow fronts and blue fronts for M1s and M3s, but never a silver front! Great find!

MP54 1398 is currently at Port Jefferson on Route 347, I pass it almost all the time. This now has me wondering, whatever happened to Mail Car 4209? Was it scrapped along with 1391 after sitting at Riverhead?
 #1559443  by BM6569

Looks like the Port Jeff photo was taken before they built the storage tracks there. It was just 2 stub tracks at the time it looks like