Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1610225  by RGlueck

Last RS3 shot was Huntington. Last FA shot was Port Jeff.
Image First run of M1's in Syosset.
 #1610229  by MACTRAXX

BM - Again I will identify your photos backwards:

Sagtikos Parkway Bridge looking westward - Relocated DEER PARK Station under construction in background.

Riverhead Station - eastbound Greenport train - baggage car delivery on platform.

Port Jefferson Station facing westward.

#1302 and #1346 doubledeck car end detail at JAMAICA - recognize the platform creases and round drain covers.

East Williston looking SW from the Hillside Avenue grade crossing - agree with the RIP thought...

Ronkonkoma along Railroad Avenue at the KO Yard area facing north towards trains...

GARRETT Turbine Cars 4001-4004 in picture(s) going out to scrap at Bay Ridge.

1982 M1 cars 9755-9756 (and 9701-9702) were the first two "Silver" M1 car pairs...These original four cars had the
yellow reflectorized front end stripe added later in the 1980s...

W6 Combine Car - Late 1970s at earliest - note Conrail gondola car at left in photo - CR logo began Summer 1976...

RG - Interesting picture additions...That color photo of C Liner 2002(?) stands out...MACTRAXX
 #1610265  by newkirk

Thanks for your participation. RGlueck posted the photos on post #1610225
Was the silverized M-1's at Johnson Ave yard ?

In the meantime, this one I took of the Port Jeff line. Any idea where [what station] ? (May 1992)

#1610316  by newkirk

Great shots, keep 'em coming.
 #1610322  by newkirk

LIRR fan trip to and from MNRR via Hell Gate bridge
We'll probably never see a fan trip like this again.(Oct 16, 1993)

Dashing Dan meets Amtrak

Three MP-15's, parlors, standard coaches and one FA "power pack"
Did anyone viewing these photos attend this fan trip ?

#1610328  by RGlueck

Image Stitched image, so a bit funky.
SOme of these have been posted before, but they're still worth enjoying.
 #1610329  by JBKingEsq

Here is a freight dept. photo from 4/1988, anyone have any info on this move? Were they new trucks being delivered to Newsday, or maybe loaded trucks being railed into NYC instead of being driven? The picture is at Pinelawn (PW Long Siding).
Attachments:
LIRR FD 4-88_1.jpg
LIRR FD 4-88_1.jpg (11.49 MiB) Viewed 956 times
Last edited by JBKingEsq on Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1610335  by nyandw

Mi First Run: M1-first-revenue-run_Syosset-Woodbury-Rd-Crossing_12-30-68_RGlueck.jpg (55079 bytes)

The picture of the first M1 at the crossing in Syosset, is the first revenue run returning westbound from Huntington. I was at work and was able to catch this shot, having seen them go up the Port Jeff earlier in the day, but unable to catch that train. It was the culmination of a lot of work, a huge investment in high level platforms and electric lines along the Port Jeff. It was a bitter-sweet triumph in my mind however, as the new fixtures and platforms desecrated the old step-down, homey, railroad architecture we had grown up with, and reminiscent of a slower paced life, steel coaches, and potato fields extending eastward. South Woods Rd. overpass in the background View E. 12/30/1968 Info/Photo/Archive: Richard Glueck
 #1610337  by Head-end View

The M-1 photo at Syosset-Woodbury Rd. has to be later than 1968. That branch wasn't electrified to Huntington until at least the Fall of 1970.
 #1610352  by RGlueck

My dates are kind of strange in this old head, but that was definitely the first run. I made a point to catch it. Sorry for the confusion.

Again, I apologize for reposting stuff you've probably seen in the past. For me, it's about getting the information (and the thrill) out to others while I am able.
 #1610431  by newkirk

Anyone have any info on this fan trip using LIRR hacks and passengers coaches ?
It was a very warm and I heard that the cabooses were stifling.
(Garden City - Sept 10, 1989)

#1610446  by RGlueck

Was that the final run of the ALCO C420's? They were repainted for the occasion.
Retiring that fleet of perfectly operable locomotives was a real waste. They never saw service again and were cut up at Naparano.