Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1592366  by highrail

I found several old negatives from Rockingham Junction. The western leg of the "Y" was still connected to the main at that point. There was some sort of wreck nearby and they stuffed a bunch of the cars on that old "Y". Hard to believe that this was about 20+ years ago! The old freight building was still there and the signal was still there on the main.
Steve

PS Jonathan...I knew I could find these shots! :)

Last edited by highrail on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1592372  by MEC407

Nice shots!

For what it's worth, Guilford didn't buy the B&M until 1983, and they didn't acquire the ex-Conrail GP40s (including #340 in your first photo) until 1985. Those units didn't get repainted into Guilford colors until a year or two later, and they didn't receive ditch lights until the late 1990s... so that shot of 340 is probably from the late '90s.
 #1592428  by MECFAN

That Wreck might have been NESE that derailed just coming into Exeter maybe late 90's ????
 #1592484  by GTIKING

You photographed the August 8, 1998 wreck In Exeter, N.H
I was there at Salem street when PO-DH wrecked. The engineer was proud as how many had stacked up. I remember the Cuillford sedan flying down the ROW well to the engines.
I'll have to post some of my photos.
 #1593051  by arthur d.

When the western division was single tracked, they kept the eastbound main, but at Exeter they crossed over and used the west bound track through town, I would guess to give the businesses along Lincoln and Garfield streets some breathing room. The wreck occurred at old MP 51, where the west bound track crossed back over to the eastbound. I always had a funny feeling about that transition point.
 #1593065  by GTIKING

Correct. In 1971 during the 4R project the B&M put in a shoefly around the depot in an attempt to protect the depot against wrecks. Yes PO-DH did wreck on the ROW transition. It was a due deteriorated track conditions and train forces.
 #1593121  by newpylong

Do you mean 1981? The 4R act wasn't signed until '76 and the B&M from my recollection finished their 4R funded projects in the ~'81 timeframe.
 #1593123  by GTIKING

Most likely. I'm thinking of the projects B&M did early 70s. 71 they needed heavier rail out on the Fitchburg. Western route became the donor.