• Popes Creek Subdivision fate?

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by farecard

The Popes Creek Subdivision carrier the coal to the Southern Maryland's Morgantown power plant at Rt 301 & the Potomac. Morgantown's coal plant is shutting down in June 2022.

What other industries does the Subdivision supply?
Will they be enough to keep it alive?
  by Shortline614

There are a few lumber warehouses and aggregate suppliers located along the line; however, it doesn't appear that some receive rail service. There is also the Chalk Point Generating Station, but they are planning to close down in 2022. I don't believe the remaining traffic will be enough to keep the line around. Perhaps it will be abandoned. Perhaps it will be spun-off to a shortline. Mothballing is always an option. MARC did look into using the line for commuter service a few years ago, but that plan never went through. I guess time will tell.
  by scratchyX1

Shortline614 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:59 am There are a few lumber warehouses and aggregate suppliers located along the line; however, it doesn't appear that some receive rail service. There is also the Chalk Point Generating Station, but they are planning to close down in 2022. I don't believe the remaining traffic will be enough to keep the line around. Perhaps it will be abandoned. Perhaps it will be spun-off to a shortline. Mothballing is always an option. MARC did look into using the line for commuter service a few years ago, but that plan never went through. I guess time will tell.
If the state was smart, it'd buy it from CSX, when they abandon it , and bring in a shoreline operator.