• Poland Project

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by Tadman

Sometimes I see pics of F40's in the MMA shops with various pieces cut out, and a reference to the Poland Project. Not much is explained. I can't even tell if this is a leftover CDAC project or a MMA project - can anybody shed some light? thanks.

by Realityrail

Simple

Rail World (RWI) ownes Rail Polska (RP) in Poland. Rail World ownes Rail World Locomotive Leasing (RWLL).

MMA is being paid by RWLL to rebuild the engines of the F40PH units owned by RWLL and these are being sent to RP for installation into former soviet M62 six axle units. Along with the engine, RWLL is sending a brand new "dash 2" electrical cabinet. The result is a Europena SD40-2, though a bit less in weight due to the dinky track structure in europe.

The resulting models are called EM62's.

Look for more information on these in an upcoming issue of Trains magazine.

by Tadman

Aha - so those F40's are done-ski once the PM is removed? I imagine the trucks, generator, etc... can be sold to someone like NRE or LTEX.

by CN9634

Maybe they can make super green goats outta them :wink:

by Tadman

A locomotive with no internal combustion engine, firebox, or electrical link to a stationary coal or gas-fired powerplant is one very green goat indeed. However, the crews hate 'em cus they won't load up or pull at all. Last time MMA assigned only poland-project F40's to a train, I assume the crew outlawed before they left they yard.

(I'm not confused, just tongue-in-cheek after a long night...)

by CN9634

Looking at your last 2 posts I would say so :wink:

by Realityrail

The generators (alternators) radiators, cooling fans and axccessory racks are all going to Ppoland too. That leaves cabs and frames and (in some cases) traction motors. Three were sold to the Permian Bason, five were sold to Titan Leasing.

by mainerails

Here's a photo of the completed product:

http://www.railpolska.pl/en/obrazki/akt ... izacja.JPG

You can see the radiators and cooling fans... who would've thought that we'd ever see a hybrid F40/Soviet-designed diesel?

by MEC407

Thanks to everybody for the info. I've been wondering what this mysterious "Poland Project" I kept hearing of was all about.

Somewhat related: GE supplied brand new FDL engines for some other overseas railroad that needed to rebuild its aging Soviet locomotives. The project was successful, according to reports I read.

And MMA-related: Estonian Railways (another RailWorld property) has a sizable fleet of C36-7s of ex-UP and ex-MP heritage.

Mr. Burkhardt is doing quite a job of bring American railroading to Europe. :wink: