Railroad Forums 

• Pok High Bridge and Hospital Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#7451  by crij

Hello all,

So anything happening with the new shortline, beyond the transload in the old yard?

Anyone want to bring this upto date for anyone that has missed the details from the old board?

Take care,

Rich

#7511  by Otto Vondrak

There is no shortline, and from the sounds of things, there wont be. The New York & Eastern deal has hit a wall with several layers of government and local business simply not interested.

#7584  by n2xjk

Yesterday I saw some sort of track car (geometry?) up on a flat just a car length or two from the points of the switch to the hospital branch. Coincidence? There still had been no sign anything tried to cross Water St. into the weeds.

#7591  by DutchRailnut

yes a piece of track equipment is sitting just south of Hospital branch switch its a Plasser shaker rig being delivered to Metro North.
it will probably be unloaded there with a crane.
currently only equipment going in or out of east side pok yard is the scrap gondola's.
Rumor within Metro North is that we bought the yard from CSX for future storage of passenger trains and easier maintenance.
 #7626  by bridpath

Otto,

Strong personal opinion or based on foundation which can be shared more fully? As an (almost) Poughkeepsie resident, reader of several local papers, involved with some County functions, I haven't picked up the same sense (but perhaps just remain hopefully optomistic?). Certainly out-going Poughkeepsie mayor was vocal in her oposition but no indication I've read or heard indicates the new mayor shares same position. Would hope you're wrong but especially interested in the basis of your opinion. Can you share any more specifics?

Bob Ridpath

#7665  by Otto Vondrak

Rooted in fact. I won't drop names because the deal is not public yet. It looks like the property is headed for non-rail use. I have spoken with the mayor as well as a potential buyer of the property, and it that is the way they are making it sound.

-otto-

#7802  by roee

n2xjk wrote:Yesterday I saw some sort of track car (geometry?) up on a flat just a car length or two from the points of the switch to the hospital branch. Coincidence? There still had been no sign anything tried to cross Water St. into the weeds.
I think you'd need to see some major brush cutting equipment before you saw anything, even a speeder, going on those rails. Also, last time I was in Pok one of the crossings was paved over. So even if this does go through (and I really hope it does) it would require a fair bit of MOW work before anything would run on the rails.

Eric
 #8065  by bridpath

Appreciate the reply, Otto, and will look forward to specifics as developments allow. Disappointing, although probably not unexpected, news.

Bob Ridpath

#8507  by Otto Vondrak

Show me your proof to the contrary, metroduff.

Faced with possible cleanup of toxins along the right of way, opposition from the county economic development group, opposition from the city, and lack of response from possible customers, the current owner is exploring his options. One of those options is sale to a group who may develop the property for non-rail use.

I'd like nothing more than for the NYER to become reality... but it looks like that is not to be.

-otto-
 #8535  by metroduff

Otto --

note the subject line of original post, in response to a rumor about the Yard currently owned by CSX.

I have no information regarding the Hospital Secondary -- I am reasonably close to those who would know whether or not MNR had bought the CSX yard, and am confident that I am correct that CSX still has control.