Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

by Noel Weaver

One of these "new" engines went southbound through Fort Lauderdale
today on a revenue train, could not catch the number as I was a couple
of cars behind the gates at the crossing.
Noel Weaver

by FL9

Noel Weaver wrote:One of these "new" engines went southbound through Fort Lauderdale
today on a revenue train, could not catch the number as I was a couple
of cars behind the gates at the crossing.
Noel Weaver
Within the last month I have seen 812, 814 and 815; all in
revenue service.

by FL9

UPDATE:

GP49 #817 was delivered to Tri-Rail about a week ago,
all six units are back on Tri-Rail property from rebuilding
in KC.

by modorney

by BlockLine_4111

This weekend I saw that several of the trains were doubleheaded with 2 locos of different color scheme. Why did they do that? The consists were very short like 3 bilevels only. :wink:

by Kurt-Trirail

Engineer reports are that the units are poor performers - as I recall right, the builders "sticker" (no more plates, eh?) rates it at 2400HP - don't know if that is the workable HP w/HEP enabled, or the prime mover's base power.

I can believe it if it is the latter - would explain the lack of horsepower.

-Kurt

by Kurt-Trirail

BlockLine_4111 wrote:This weekend I saw that several of the trains were doubleheaded with 2 locos of different color scheme. Why did they do that? The consists were very short like 3 bilevels only. :wink:
Probably out of fear that the single unit won't make the New River bridge grade :wink:

I once asked about the dual lashup one day (consist had 816 online w/o HEP, 804 online w/HEP) - engineer on that consist said it "saved fuel." I don't buy it.

-Kurt