Railroad Forums 

• Pittsburgh PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1185959  by Bobby S

WOW! Lot's to see here... And looking at Historicaerials it seems like there was a WHOLE lot more back in the day! Does anyone have pics. locales and anything of interest regarding stations, railroads that served...etc...compared to now??? Pittsburgh seemed like quite the railroad city! Thanks... Is the modern Day Amtrak station the one used back in the day or were there more for other railroads???
 #1218855  by ExCon90

As late as 1962 (I don't know how much longer they lasted) the PRR had 6 commuter routes out of the PRR station: Beaver Falls via Sewickley up the east bank of the Ohio, the Conemaugh line up the west bank of the Allegheny and the Allegheny Valley up the east bank, the main line east to Derry, a train as far as Elrama down the west bank of the Monongahela, and to Burgettstown on the Panhandle route used by the St. Louis trains. The last two crossed the Monongahela River on the bridge now used by the light rail trains, turning south and north respectively, at MONON tower at the west end of the bridge (both also stopped at a platform at 4th Avenue on the way). All lines had one train a day in each direction, Mondays to Fridays, except the main line, which had several trains to Derry. The B&O had some trains from Smithfield St. to McKeesport and (I think) Versailles, and the P&LE had one train, which by 1962 was going to College station only. Power for the commuter trains was RS3's (I believe) which were used on local freights and yard jobs overnight and midday. Coaches were P70's in original condition, original trucks, and no air-conditioning, but always clean inside.
 #1220974  by Ron Mele

[quote="ExCon90"]As late as 1962 (I don't know how much longer they lasted) the PRR had 6 commuter routes out of the PRR station: The PRR Pittsburgh commuter trains were discontinued in November 1964.