Railroad Forums 

• Pine-Aire Project

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1051569  by Teutobergerwald

What's the latest there? Some land was cleared, but it doesn't seem like much. Anyone know what the configuration will be?
 #1056129  by Teutobergerwald

There appears to be some renewed activity, but a fleeting glimpse when passing over N/B on the Sagtikos doesn't reveal particulars....anyone know more? Thanks.
 #1056441  by Teutobergerwald

Looks like some heavy-duty steamroller action is going on on that portion of cleared land along the north side of the R.o.W.
 #1057870  by Teutobergerwald

Track is being laid now. Doesn't look like it's going to be a big yard. Anybody who knows more about size, capacity & configuration, please chime in.
 #1060307  by emfinite

I don't know the specifics, but it looks to me like 2 layup tracks each consisting of about 6-8 cars each. When I passed last week, the west switch was laid in place but not connected to the double ended freight yet. I pass again tomorrow night at work so I will comment on the progress.
 #1060892  by emfinite

Passed there the past few nights and it looks like there is not 2 but 3 layup tracks. They are progressing along with the one closest to the double ended freight. Will update next Wednesday when I pass again.
 #1062782  by emfinite

As of tonight (7-12-12), it looks as if #1 and 2 layup tracks are almost completely installed (rail and ties only). Will report back when more work is done.
 #1064779  by emfinite

Last night (7-19-12) The switch on the west end of the "new" yard is connected to the new layup tracks. Some ballast and ties added throughout 2 layup tracks.
 #1068855  by emfinite

As of 8-1-12, all three layup tracks are installed, about 1/3 of it ballasted. Looks like work is beginning on connecting the east switch.
 #1069236  by tahawus84

any reason they couldnt use the pilgram branch to store the cars instead? did those tree huggers have the much of an affect? Seems like alot of work for such little storage. does it have to do with the direction the switch is facing?
 #1069346  by jayrmli

The Pilgrim siding was always a lousy place to store cars, except those waiting to go westbound. The spur could never be accessed without needing the main, and since the derailment at the west switch a few years back it still can't be accessed directly from the siding.

Because of the Sagtikos Parkway overpass, there's not much room for a great expansion, and the wooded area surrounding the parkway is considered "parklands," making it near impossible to add more track space. The new "yard" will be a small improvement though.

Jay